Author Topic: Douglas Racers  (Read 24649 times)

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
Douglas Racers
« on: 24 Aug 2005 at 06:32 »
Hi all,
Howard has sent in some of those photos he has collected - we'll publish the ones related to Douglas racing machines here to begin with and maybe if there's enough interest and discussion generated by them to warrant the creation of a new category dedicated to 'Douglas Racers and Race History', we'll move them over. It's a fascinating subject that's packed full of nostalgia for old petrol heads, in fact for all Dougie enthusiasts and we hope members and visitors alike will contribute pictures and stories for all to enjoy.

The pictures are published without any notation but are numbered for reference purposes so if you have comment about or opinion on the ID of the bike in any particular photo, please post here with a reference to the picture number given.

Members who may not be aware should note too that our forum logo is derived from a historical photograph of a Dougie dirt tracker in action - the picture has been published elsewhere under the title of 'The Full-on Slide' and depicts the dirt track and speedway racer Alex Kynoch who raced in Australia in the 1930's and early 40's. The late Alex is the father of Dave Kynoch, the engineer and administrator behind this forum.

To read more about the exploits of Alex Kynoch and to view more related action pictures visit these links...
http://www.kynoch-douglas-parts.com/html/racing/Main/racing.htm
http://www.kynoch-douglas-parts.com/html/racing/Alex%20Kynoch%27s%20race%20results.htm

If you have pictures of Douglas racers and/or written accounts of the exploits of racers past or present just wasting away in your filing cabinet or in those forgotton files already on your computer, please post them here for the interest of viewers and for the sake of posterity.

Here's Howards photos - please post your comments and refer to a particular photo by its given number and Howard, if you have further information to add please do likewise .
Alwyn
Site Mod

Photo 1

Larger view HERE

Photo 2

Larger view HERE

Photo 3

Larger view HERE

Photo 4

Larger view HERE

Photo 5

Larger view HERE

Photo 6

Larger view HERE

Photo 7

Larger view HERE
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2005 at 11:31 by Dave »
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
Brooklands Gazette
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2005 at 07:51 »
Hi everyone,
Howard sent in this picture of an outfit in action at Brooklands taken from an early Brooklands Gazette. Thanks Howard - got any more gems like this to share? Has anyone else got similar pictures or any photographs they would like to share?
Alwyn
Global Mod.

A larger view HERE
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2005 at 18:45 by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Re: Brooklands Gazette
« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2005 at 08:02 »
Wow ... thanks Howard and Alwyn. That is a gem.
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2005 at 08:30 by Dave »

Offline Dirt Track

Re: Douglas Racers
« Reply #3 on: 04 Sep 2005 at 08:22 »
G'day all
That last photo came from the front cover of a Brooklands Gazette.....I bought half a dozen copies at £1.50 each from the shop at the National Motor Cycle Museum some years ago....they used to have hundreds of old magazines on the floor around the shop that had been brought in and donated to the museum. I think I got 4 of the first 5 issues of the Brooklands Gazette for a total of £6.....someone has told me they go for a fortune nowadays. I got some very early issues of Motor Sport at the same time.
One of the few times I have picked up a bargain!
Is any member of this site going to the National Veteran Motor Cycle Rally this month in South Australia?
Howard.

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 04 Sep 2005 at 22:39 »
Howard, I am going but alas on a Triumph rather than a Douglas !!

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2005 at 11:34 »
Howard, one of the photos above is called "Joe on a Douglas". Do you know Joe's full name and/or anything about him?

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2005 at 05:58 »
its good to see full leathers and other safety gear in these old photos :lol: Daren
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2005 at 13:01 »
C'mon Daren - he's wearing a helmet isn't he :question: :roll:
Alwyn
Global Mod.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 25 Sep 2005 at 05:37 »
Aditional pictures of Graeme Brown's old Brookland racer can be seen in this post:

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php/topic,885.0.html

-Doug

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
« Reply #9 on: 25 Sep 2005 at 23:18 »
Hi all,
An interesting picture of a 1928 Douglas Brooklands Racer Replica HERE. Is said to be a replica of a replica but that may be just 'bad English' so to speak - apparently the bike was displayed by the London Douglas Motorcycle Club at the 2005 Bristol Classic Bike Show recently.
Alwyn
Global Mod

Offline Dirt Track

« Reply #10 on: 06 Oct 2005 at 11:33 »
Dave
Re the photo of "Joe on a Douglas"....sorry I dont know who Joe is at all...that photo came from the late Col Collingridge from Cootamundra...better known as the "Coot from Coota".....it was one of many photos being thrown out by his family ( a shoe box full in fact) after his death....I conducted the auction to sell all his motorcycle and car collection and the photos were given to me at the time.
I guess Joe was a local.
Howard.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 05 Dec 2005 at 03:27 »
Quote from: Alywn
An interesting picture of a 1928 Douglas Brooklands Racer Replica HERE. Is said to be a replica of a replica but that may be just 'bad English' so to speak

This is E. Morley's recently finished replica of one of Rex Judd's Brooklands racers.  Judd's machine had a frame constructed a little bit different from the 'run of the mill' I.o.M./T.T. replicas (over the counter versions of the factory race machines.)  The history of the original is on the magazine photocopy displayed next to the machine, it alos featured strutted forks.   

-Doug

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
« Reply #12 on: 05 Dec 2005 at 09:18 »
The history of the original is on the magazine photocopy displayed next to the machine, it alos featured strutted forks. -Doug

Doug,
I am unable to enlarge the text on the display with sufficient clarity to make it legible - can you elucidate please?
Alwyn

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 06 Dec 2005 at 02:56 »
Doug,
I am unable to enlarge the text on the display with sufficient clarity to make it legible - can you elucidate please?
Alwyn
Further discussion on the Rex Judd replica given its own thread here:
https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php/topic,1016.msg3374.html#msg3374
-Doug

Offline zacgrief

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jul 2011 at 12:00 »
All,

The photos that Alwyn posted in 2005, photo number 6 I think is the bike that i now have? Does anyone know any history of where this photo came from?

Many thanks

Zac

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jul 2011 at 20:57 »
Zac,

Here is a slightly enhanced copy of the #6 photo with more shadow detail.

In Alwyn's post, he mentions the photos came from Howard who uses the member name "Dirt Track" on this Forum. If you follow the link to "Dirt Track", then choose "Actions > Send personal message", you could PM Howard and ask him about the photo. Please tell him he sent the photo to Alwyn around August 2005 and the file name of the image probably began with "MCimage022...".

Dave

Offline zacgrief

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jul 2011 at 21:40 »
Dave,

Thanks, I am 99% sure thats my bike and I will take a picture from the same angle tomorrow and post it for interest. I have emailed Howard thanks, I just hope he has a better memory than me!!

Cheers

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2012 at 19:52 »
Thanks to Fay Collingridge who kindly sent in a PM with information about "Joe" in the photo above.

Quote from: Fay
The photo of "Joe" on your website from Col Collingridge's collection is of Joe Fenning of Cootamundra

Fay Collingridge
Col's daughter