Author Topic: transmission oil capacity  (Read 4760 times)

Offline joe1028

transmission oil capacity
« on: 11 Jul 2009 at 20:35 »
hello, i just received a 1924 douglas 3 speed but the trans was empty so i was wondering what the oil qty/wt should be put in..i do not see a level plug only a fill and drain bolt..thanks in advance joe@vcycle

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: transmission oil capacity
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2009 at 08:41 »
Hello Joe, A suitable lubricant for early Dougs has been discussed a couple of years ago on the forum. I myself just pack my boxes with a good quality water resistant grease. I doubt that the frail construction and small contact area is sufficient to hold oil within. At an Agricultural field day a couple of years ago I discussed grease with a Moreys representative and he recommended a grease that is used in many truck transmissions. It remains at the bottom of the transmission as a grease until parts start turning and then it get deposited in liquid form throughout the box. No can't remember the grade but most lubricant suppliers should be able to point you in the right direction

regards Alan

Offline joe1028

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2009 at 14:22 »
hi sir, i actually tore the transmission down to inspect and see why it was not shifting properly and noticed a few things first the spring tension was very high, corrosion on shift lever shaft and shift fork shaft but gears and forks all looked good(thank god), i took several photos of gearbox while servicing and will post for future referances and made a few tools; one to lock gear to remove external sprocket attach plate nut and one to adjust spring stack...i did seal the box split line and shift shaft so it will hold fluid but i imagine the shaft outputs may leak some but i think a mix of oil/grease will work.  adjusted shift fork shaft axial position,spring tension and external shifting linkage to allow proper shifting(static). now i have to put some lube in and test ride again....have a good one,joe mn usa

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2009 at 00:16 »
Joe,

Avoid high melting temperature grease, as this will just get pushed aside and stick to the walls of the gear case. You need something that will flow somewhat, to lubricate the bearing inside the sleeve gear. As Alan mentioned, there is a post on the subject here-

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php/topic,205.msg503.html#msg503

Some lubricant is going to leak out, it is just the nature of the era. When it stops leaking you need to add more!

Corrosion on the shifter lever is not unusual, water gets in the gear box down the shaft and fills up the gear case displacing the lubricant. I have taken the shifter arm off the shifter fork (it is just plug welded from the top) built up the shifter fork journals with TIG weld (stainless steel), and turned true again in the lathe. Then weld back on the shift arm. I also had to make bushes (split) for the top hole in the case, as it was severely worn.

-Doug

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2009 at 00:50 »
Hi Joe
I use Penrite Semi-Fluid Grease. Takes forever to get into the box - I put a funnel in the filler hole and fill it up and let it drain in over the next couple of days, depending on how warm the weather is. Volume is a bit of guess-work - I just put a screwdiver down the hole as a dipstick and see that there is an inch or so in the box, enough for the gears to dip into. This grease doesn't seem to find it's way out of the box - providing the bushes aren't really flogged out. I check the level on the box before using the bike in any major rally, like the 5 day National Veteran Rally, where I will be doing a good few miles. Very rarely does the box need topping up.
Penrite is an Australian brand, but I would think that it wouldn't be too expensive to get one of the small bottles of the Semi-Fluid Grease posted to the USA.
Cheers, Graeme

Offline joe1028

« Reply #5 on: 08 Aug 2009 at 17:45 »
hi, sorry for the long delay but the machine shifts fine but now i have a problem with the clutch slipping..joe

motorcycle