Author Topic: Magneto Leads for 1918-1925 Douglas  (Read 8230 times)

Offline gsx1100s

Magneto Leads for 1918-1925 Douglas
« on: 01 May 2007 at 04:29 »
I have in my possesion some heavy gauge electrical wiring.As  I have to replace my magneto leads, I was wondering if this wire would be acceptable. The original wiring is far thinner compared to the wiring I was thinking of using .

cheers michael
"My first car was a motorcycle"

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: Magneto Leads for 1918-1925 Douglas
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2007 at 08:07 »
I have in my possesion some heavy gauge electrical wiring.As  I have to replace my magneto leads, I was wondering if this wire would be acceptable. The original wiring is far thinner compared to the wiring I was thinking of using .

cheers michael
            What looks best for high tension wires is a plastic lead covered with yellow and black flec braid there are two sizes a thick one (dull colour) mainly used for vintage cars.   There is a thinner one with shining finish that fits the EIC pickups  I prefer to use a brass round plug wire end with a flat section hole for the spark plug.   I came across some plastic  NGK plug cap ends recently we put a meter on them and they had resistance so dont use with magneto.     Cant remember who sells the braided wire I usually get it from a trader from Sydney  or Melbourne who frequents larger swap meets.   Anyway you can try your local auto elec for black wire but make it wire not resistor lead     regards Al

Offline gsx1100s

« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2007 at 22:41 »
Thanks Al for your advice , I'll look into the dealers you suggested,

cheers Michael

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2007 at 06:11 »
Try Vintage Wiring Harnesses in Melbourne - they certainly stock the lead for magnetos.

Offline gsx1100s

« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2007 at 05:23 »
Try Vintage Wiring Harnesses in Melbourne - they certainly stock the lead for magnetos.

Thanks Graeme , I live close by to them! a great stroke of luck.Is there a particular length specified for the Douglas as to the leads ? Or is it a matter of choice.

cheers Michael

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2007 at 06:59 »
They sell it off the roll Michael - so just order a bit more than you will need and cut it to length. I would think that for a 2 3/4 if you ordered a metre it  should be more than sufficient. They should also have the brass tags you need for the plug connection as well.
Cheers, Graeme

Offline gsx1100s

« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2007 at 01:19 »
Thanks Graeme.

cheers michael

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2007 at 10:55 »
Dont know how far you have progressed     but it may seem like working backwards     fit the brass end on cable first     The internal wire is usually soft and  when trying to remove the outer cable  oops off goes the wire too and the cable may be short    Al

Offline gsx1100s

« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2007 at 01:44 »
Dont know how far you have progressed     but it may seem like working backwards     fit the brass end on cable first     The internal wire is usually soft and  when trying to remove the outer cable  oops off goes the wire too and the cable may be short    Al

I have bought two types of brass ends. One is the type that spikes into the wire and is then crimped. the brass attaches onto the spark pliug with a clip.
The other type , the wire is stripped then soldered into a sleeve . The sleeves' end is flat with a hole in it . this hole is fitted over the plug and then the cap is screwed on.I am guessing that the latter brass end is correct. thanks for the tip Al

regards michael