Douglas - For Sale Items

Douglas 1913 Model P motorcycle

Douglas - Wanted Items

Douglas 1915 3 Spd-Gearbox and Clutch

Quick Comments

Reminders, links to interesting topics, bump your own topic, quick comments or any short message of interest to members. Try it out!
Please note - 500 character current limit

Dave

2024-06-11, 20:02:05
Have you tried the new Drafts feature yet? I just lost a long message today and learned my lesson. It is a good idea to save a draft of any long post you are writing. You can then just keep writing and keep saving a draft, knowing you have a backup if there is a glitch. The draft is automatically deleted when you post the message.

Dave

2024-06-08, 18:30:04
For Sale
xman has two very nice 1950's machines available - a green 1950 mk4 and black 1951 mk5 - both in good condition and running well.

Dave

2024-06-07, 02:13:36

Dave

2024-06-03, 08:23:05
For Sale
Duncan has just listed his green and cream 1957 Dragonfly for sale with spares and documents.

Dave

2024-06-02, 08:34:05
Parts avalable
alistair still has parts available - barrels, carburettor, castings - see all listings.

Dave

2024-06-01, 18:33:27

Dave

2024-05-28, 00:09:46
Welcome to the new site!
Recommended viewing for a fast start...
 - Quick Tour of the Front Page
 - Quick Tour of the new Attachments
Learn all about attaching photos in the User Guide. Any problems with anything please Contact us     Faulty links fixed - 01June2024

Magneto Leads for 1918-1925 Douglas

Started by gsx1100s, 01 May 2007 at 04:29

Previous topic - Next topic

gsx1100s

I have in my possesion some heavy gauge electrical wiring.As  I have to replace my magneto leads, I was wondering if this wire would be acceptable. The original wiring is far thinner compared to the wiring I was thinking of using .

cheers michael
"My first car was a motorcycle"

Alan Cun

Quote from: gsx1100s on 01 May 2007 at 04:29
I have in my possesion some heavy gauge electrical wiring.As  I have to replace my magneto leads, I was wondering if this wire would be acceptable. The original wiring is far thinner compared to the wiring I was thinking of using .

cheers michael
What looks best for high tension wires is a plastic lead covered with yellow and black flec braid there are two sizes a thick one (dull colour) mainly used for vintage cars.   There is a thinner one with shining finish that fits the EIC pickups  I prefer to use a brass round plug wire end with a flat section hole for the spark plug.   I came across some plastic  NGK plug cap ends recently we put a meter on them and they had resistance so dont use with magneto.     Cant remember who sells the braided wire I usually get it from a trader from Sydney  or Melbourne who frequents larger swap meets.   Anyway you can try your local auto elec for black wire but make it wire not resistor lead     regards Al

gsx1100s

Thanks Al for your advice , I'll look into the dealers you suggested,

cheers Michael

graeme

Try Vintage Wiring Harnesses in Melbourne - they certainly stock the lead for magnetos.

gsx1100s

Quote from: graeme on 02 May 2007 at 06:11
Try Vintage Wiring Harnesses in Melbourne - they certainly stock the lead for magnetos.

Thanks Graeme , I live close by to them! a great stroke of luck.Is there a particular length specified for the Douglas as to the leads ? Or is it a matter of choice.

cheers Michael

graeme

They sell it off the roll Michael - so just order a bit more than you will need and cut it to length. I would think that for a 2 3/4 if you ordered a metre it  should be more than sufficient. They should also have the brass tags you need for the plug connection as well.
Cheers, Graeme

gsx1100s

Alan Cun

Dont know how far you have progressed     but it may seem like working backwards     fit the brass end on cable first     The internal wire is usually soft and  when trying to remove the outer cable  oops off goes the wire too and the cable may be short    Al

gsx1100s

Quote from: Alan Cun on 06 May 2007 at 10:55
Dont know how far you have progressed     but it may seem like working backwards     fit the brass end on cable first     The internal wire is usually soft and  when trying to remove the outer cable  oops off goes the wire too and the cable may be short    Al

I have bought two types of brass ends. One is the type that spikes into the wire and is then crimped. the brass attaches onto the spark pliug with a clip.
The other type , the wire is stripped then soldered into a sleeve . The sleeves' end is flat with a hole in it . this hole is fitted over the plug and then the cap is screwed on.I am guessing that the latter brass end is correct. thanks for the tip Al

regards michael