Author Topic: Starting EW350  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Michel H

Starting EW350
« on: 16 May 2010 at 16:19 »
After Vincent and Triumph, I discover the Douglas world.
I just buy a lovely EW350 and this afternoon I make a first static test.
I turned the tap situated at the bottom of the oil filter (handle pointed towards the ground). The engine start very easy. I unscrewed the regulating needle and I saw oil in the sight feed.  But I don't know how to position the tap of the hand pump. And I don't know how many oil drop to count in the sight feed.
I'm afraid to make a stupidity, so please tell me the right process to be sure to be right.
Thank you for your pieces of advice.
Michel.

Michel

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Starting EW350
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2010 at 01:33 »
Michel,

Normally the hand pump is valved off on the EW, it is only for use when the mechanical pump fails, or to prime the oil lines. This is assuming your EW is plumbed per factory (note, early handbooks showing the two-pipe system have the oil lines reversed! The lower fitting on the timing cover is the inlet and the upper the return to the sight glass.)

The handbook further advises to set the rate of oiling in a round about way. Using the hand pump (feed to mechanical pump valved off), set the rate so that one full stroke of the hand pump is consumed in the course of five to seven miles. Then one is to use the same setting for the mechanical pump. Of course, it is safe to err on the side of too much oil at first, and gradually cut the engine back until the smoke is at a manageable level!

-Doug