Author Topic: Dragonfly Coil.  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Sgtbiro

Dragonfly Coil.
« on: 17 Nov 2020 at 19:59 »
Hi
Could some kind Dragonfly owner please send me a picture of the correct location on the frame for the coil on a Dragonfly, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers Kevin..

Offline Dads bike

Re: Dragonfly Coil.
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2020 at 22:26 »
Hope this helps

Steve

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2020 at 07:05 »
The coil in the photo looks like a Lucas - the original Miller coil was black and slightly smaller. There was a shaped rubber block between the coil and the frame tube.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2020 at 16:42 »
Thanks for the reply's guys can I ask another question, on the wiring diagram it shows a black wire coming from the ignition switch to the coil and another wire going from the coil to the points. I am fitting a 12v Lucas coil with + and - terminals can someone please tell me it the terminals are pole sensitive or can you attach the wires to either terminal   

Cheers Kevin..

Offline Dads bike

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2020 at 18:57 »
Evening Kevin
At a risk of me muddying things: a coil will work wired either way round, HOWEVER,
Read the description found at “Coil Polarity-Moss Motoring” answers the question clearly and may just prevent future misfiring.

Steve

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2020 at 09:08 »
In the good old days, the 2 terminals for the primary winding were marked 'BAT' and 'CB' (contact breaker). Now, as I understand it, the 'CB' terminal was common to both the primary and secondary windings, so it completed the HT circuit to earth. If the connections were reversed, the primary winding would then also be part of the circuit for the HT voltage - thus passing HT voltage into the main wiring harness. Now the HT amperage is minimal, so probably wouldn't affect any normal electrical equipment - but I'm not so sure that applies when 'electronic equipment' (modern voltage regulators, etc.) are fitted. The modern system of labelling the primary terminals '+' & '-' gives no clue as to the internal wiring of the coil, and thus, which way round it should be wired.

Regards,
                  Eddie.

Offline Red

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2020 at 16:05 »
Have a look at the attached PDF - half way down - Warning Coil Connections

Roy

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2020 at 18:16 »
Once again thank you all for your reply's its brilliant to get so much good advice .

Cheers Kevin..