Author Topic: Classic silencers and Exhaust pipes.  (Read 34005 times)

Offline jdaley

Classic silencers and Exhaust pipes.
« on: 22 Nov 2005 at 23:04 »
Armours claim to have pipes etc for 1930 - 1985 models www.armoursltd.uk.co
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2005 at 01:01 by Dave »
John Daley
1929 350 Sidecar

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: Classic silencers and Exhaust pipes.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2005 at 09:21 »
According to the latest Armours catalogue I hold, They can nomally supply the following items for Douglas. Pipes and silencers for EW 350, Mk 3, Mk4, Mk5, 80+, 90+, Dragonfly and the short pipe for models fitted with a waffle box silencer.

Offline Brian

« Reply #2 on: 05 Jan 2007 at 17:02 »
I visited Armours and inspected Plus Pipes.
Nice chrome,but crappy bending.The 180 deg bend is good,but at the transition to straight
there was a pregnant bulge...horrible!  Definitely no sale. As they say,caveat emptor.
I feel sorry for overseas buyers who cant see-before-they-buy.The comment of the Armours sales guy was "thats how they come these days".I will find someone who can do a proper job.Its a tight bend but just a hockey stick bent in one plane only.They have to be bent hot;the old way.
Brian
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2007 at 18:47 by alwyn »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jan 2007 at 18:33 »
If you are in the south of England, try contacting Technical Tubes on Ferndown Industrial Estate, Dorset. They have been making exhaust pipes for bikes for over 40 years - often with the choice of mild steel or stainless. They have a large stock of patterns to work from. The only snag is that the mild steel pipes are supplied unplated. They are bent cold and do have slight 'necking' but I managed to dress mine back and polish them without drastically thinning the pipe.

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 06 Jan 2007 at 08:15 »
I visited Armours and inspected Plus Pipes.
Nice chrome,but crappy bending.The 180 deg bend is good,but at the transition to straight
there was a pregnant bulge...horrible!  Definitely no sale. As they say,caveat emptor.
I feel sorry for overseas buyers who cant see-before-they-buy.The comment of the Armours sales guy was "thats how they come these days".I will find someone who can do a proper job.Its a tight bend but just a hockey stick bent in one plane only.They have to be bent hot;the old way.
Brian

I have known of several people in Australia who have ordered pipes from Armours over the years, and have been very disappointed with what they received. With the cost of postage it is not worth trying to send them back to get a new item or refund. Caveat Emptor indeed.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 08 Jan 2007 at 02:55 »
A friend having pipes bent up for a for and aft OHV Dougie had Technical Tubes make the bends, according to him they do all the pipe bending for Armours, who in the case of custom jobs just act as a broker for Technical Tubes. They did not follow the drawings provided, and the pipes needed reworking to fit. (Perhaps why Armours stuff does not always fit?)

The stuff I have bought from Armours in years past was not very impressive quality-wise, and I stopped buying mail order from them. Last time I was in the south of England, I stopped in to lget a pair of silencers for a Norton Atlas, wanting to check them over first. I am glad I did as the welding on them was poorly blended/polished, perhaps o.k. for a working daily rider, but not a restoration.

When I was looking for an alternative tube bending shop to have pipes bent for the DT/SW Dougies, I tried Overlander in AU. But despite assurances they could work to toleranced drawings provided with no bulging on one particularly tight bend, they casually disregarded requirements once the order was placed (prepaid only.) When I pointed out the items did not meet specifications, the responce was, "that is normal, you have to expect that". Obviously my fault for having too high an expectation of getting what I asked for. It must be something endemic to tube bending, they tell you they can do it or it will be a perfect fit, but they do not really mean it and are flabbergasted if you believed it!

-Doug

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 08 Jan 2007 at 03:35 »
Hi
I had the pipes made for my Mk5 in Gosford Australia. He made them in polished stainless and he did a perfect job there are no deformities in the bend he also custom made the mufflers and it sounds beautiful Regards Daren
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 08 Jan 2007 at 04:10 »
I have bought various pipes (not Douglas) from reband in South Australia - excellent workmanship. We did our own for the OC using sand bending - worked out very well.

Offline MrWright

« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2011 at 13:25 »
Long time since logged in, but back in swing of things.  I am looking for a low mount muffler for my Douglas T35, the pipe is a 1-1/2 inch diameter. I dont want a 2 inch with a step-down, want it to look right.  Any suggestions?