Douglas - For Sale Items

Douglas 1913 Model P motorcycle

Douglas - Wanted Items

Douglas 1915 3 Spd-Gearbox and Clutch

Quick Comments

Reminders, links to interesting topics, bump your own topic, quick comments or any short message of interest to members. Try it out!
Please note - 500 character current limit

Dave

2024-06-11, 20:02:05
Have you tried the new Drafts feature yet? I just lost a long message today and learned my lesson. It is a good idea to save a draft of any long post you are writing. You can then just keep writing and keep saving a draft, knowing you have a backup if there is a glitch. The draft is automatically deleted when you post the message.

Dave

2024-06-08, 18:30:04
For Sale
xman has two very nice 1950's machines available - a green 1950 mk4 and black 1951 mk5 - both in good condition and running well.

Dave

2024-06-07, 02:13:36

Dave

2024-06-03, 08:23:05
For Sale
Duncan has just listed his green and cream 1957 Dragonfly for sale with spares and documents.

Dave

2024-06-02, 08:34:05
Parts avalable
alistair still has parts available - barrels, carburettor, castings - see all listings.

Dave

2024-06-01, 18:33:27

Dave

2024-05-28, 00:09:46
Welcome to the new site!
Recommended viewing for a fast start...
 - Quick Tour of the Front Page
 - Quick Tour of the new Attachments
Learn all about attaching photos in the User Guide. Any problems with anything please Contact us     Faulty links fixed - 01June2024

EW cylinder base nuts

Started by tck, 01 May 2023 at 10:11

Previous topic - Next topic

tck

Hi
I know Douglas threads are a law unto themselves so can anyone tell me what thread the seemingly 5/16 thread is for the three nuts that hold the EW 350 (1926) cylinder barrels on to the crankcase studs

eddie

Tim,
        They are probably 5/16" X 25tpi. A near match is M8 fine (8mm x 1mm pitch).

Regards,
               Eddie.

EW-Ron

The question is are you going to trust that to ride to Bristol and back ....

Has there been any discussion about why Douglas chose such odd thread counts ?
I know things were not yet entirely standardized - apart from Mr Whitworths & finest.
But ....

Can the LDMCC supply any of these. ?

eddie

I once suggested to Bill Douglas that his grandfather was an 'awkward old sod' for using bastard threads. Bill's immediate reply was, ' no he wasn't awkward, he was a 'canny Scot' who knew he couldn't get much for his bikes, so made sure you had to go back to him for your spares!'

Regards,
                Eddie.

tck

nuts came, nuts fit !
I knew there must have been a reason for the metric system apart from measuring ICE engine capacities now I have found it. :-)

Alan

I remember my first TS ( purchased for 15 pounds..these were the days when UK bike shops had rows of now desirable but then unwanted British bikes out the back as Honda etc had arrived). Thread confusion!!! so I wandered into my local nuts and bolts place and the knowledgeable old boy at the counter ( they used to exist) produced his huge stock of thread gauges. An hour later, much head scratching, still nothing, no solution except the club's taps and dies sets.
The " they have to buy spares from Douglas" certainly applies.