Author Topic: Yet another EW Clutch Thread  (Read 1053 times)

Offline DEW

Yet another EW Clutch Thread
« on: 05 Apr 2023 at 08:32 »
Now that the clutch is apart I have a couple of questions.

The flywheel has a couple of holes to receive pins on the the outermost clutch plate. It looks like new holes have been inserted (blue arrows) to replace older holes that may have worn (red arrows). The new holes are proud of the flywheel surface and we suspect that is not correct. Can anyone advise on that please?

The dog eared washer is missing. Previous threads have asked for dimensions but I can't see an answer, if anyone can give dimensions and material I'd be grateful.

The washer between the thrust bearing and the sprocket is missing. Again dimensions and material would be very helpful.

The clutch lining is quite worn and needs relining. The old lining has been packed out (quite ingenious in its way....) but is not a long term solution. What is the correct material and does any Australian member know someone (preferably in NSW or southern Qld) that can do the job properly?

Cheers
Dan

Offline Hamwic

Re: Yet another EW Clutch Thread
« Reply #1 on: 05 Apr 2023 at 18:34 »
Hi DEW,

I have used Digger Bucket Washers, which are available in assorted thickness packs and diameters on flea bay (in the UK at least), along with a suitable needle roller thrust race from a bearing factor. The bearing comes with a couple of hardened facing washers, so you use the Digger Bucket Washers to make up the pack height. Does the biz, but may take a a couple of trial assembly trial to get it right.

Cheers for now
Doug

Offline Aussie Don

« Reply #2 on: 06 Apr 2023 at 06:35 »
Looks like a modified flywheel. 350 EW's only transmitted power through the Drive Dog washer, 600s had 2 pins on the plate.

Offline DEW

« Reply #3 on: 06 Apr 2023 at 08:27 »
Thanks Doug and Don,

That's very interesting about the flywheel. I noticed that pictures on another post didn't show the holes so I was wondering why ours was different. But then I read there were continuous modifications to the clutch design and just assumed this was a mod that came later in the model run.

Picture of the outside of the outermost clutch plate showing the pins.

Cheers
Dan

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2024 at 18:08 »
My roller bearing and cage broke into pieces I purchased some digger bucket washers and a face bearing and shims (as discussed on here) they all fit together extremely  well, however the loss of the depth of the ball race indentation means that the operating arm flank does not engage on the three pins until just at the end of travel
what have i missed? do I increase the size of the 3 pins?  is there a way to reduce the 'boss' to the depth of the old ball race bottom even if I reduce the 'stack' to the face bearing and a bottom shim I am well off a lift from the lever

Offline DEW

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2024 at 06:30 »
It seems that our clutch is a 600 clutch so we didnt go the digger bucket washer route.
However, we did find that those three pins were worn and we had the same problem as tck - the operating arm cam does not engage until towards the end of travel. We manufactured three new pins with the head diameter as large as would fit against the crankcase and that allowed the operating arm to disengage the clutch.
Not sure if that will be enough to work in your case tck but might be worth a try.

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2024 at 10:08 »
I think that increase in pin size is my first avenue
Its difficult to tell with only 1/4 of thread but I think its a 5/16 by 24 thread  but it could be 26 (cycle thread) do you have a note?

Offline DEW

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2024 at 04:48 »
Yes 5/16 x 24 tpi. So yours should be the same unless its been altered at some point. You'll be able to confirm when you get them out.
The heads on ours ended up being 11mm diameter but whatever you can get to fit, given that clearance to the crankcase is the limiting factor.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2024 at 13:44 »
Could be 5/16-25 was a proprietary thread for Douglas.

-Doug