Author Topic: New project 1937 aero 600  (Read 5781 times)

Offline Tazmantic

New project 1937 aero 600
« on: 01 Apr 2023 at 17:42 »
Hi all,

Been a while been busy on other projects but today picked up an Aero 600 cosmetically it looks good but mechanically needs quite some work I’m just finding out. My first question (of no doubt many) is gearbox it’s the correct one I believe (U/***) and matches the register but I can only seem to find 3 gears should it not have 4? And is 1st fully forward (like my 250) or fully back.

Many thanks
« Last Edit: 05 Apr 2023 at 18:08 by Tazmantic »

Offline Dads bike

Re: New project 1937 aero 600
« Reply #1 on: 01 Apr 2023 at 19:47 »
Evening
Yes the U prefix gear box is for a 1937 Aero and it is a four speed box. Note that from 1937 on, the gear box was oil filled not grease. Oil required was Castrol D 140, still available.
The gear leaver gate on the tank; fully back (up) is first gear, the next notch going down in the gate is neutral.
Make sure that the rack and pinion on the selector within the box are aligned correctly ie the centre dots on both the rack and pinion are aligned otherwise you won’t be able to select all the gears.
The engine and frame numbers should both be P prefix.

Steve

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #2 on: 01 Apr 2023 at 20:15 »
 Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply, I did think looking on the internet that the 2nd notch should be neutral but on mine the top notch is a gear, so is the next notch down (should be neutral)!then the long gate is all neutral then fully forward is a gear so I presume I just need to take the cover off to line it all up? And yes both frame and engine are P though the engine has been changed as the mounting lugs had corroded off the original engine but the previous owner has got the v5 changed. Next question will be clutch as that’s just slipping.

Cheers Neil

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #3 on: 03 Apr 2023 at 19:28 »
So took cover off today and sure enough there was a line on the rack but could not find a line or dot on the pinion, I played about and have found 4 gears I think though some gears need going past the gate to engage/disengage so hoping I can adjust that out or maybe I’ve the pinion a tooth out is there an easy way to set this if there is no mark? I’m presuming take the box off and set it via the selector and indent plunger position.

Neil

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 04 Apr 2023 at 01:04 »
The mark on the pinion tooth is quite small and easy to miss.

-Doug

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #5 on: 04 Apr 2023 at 03:23 »
Cheers Doug, I did see a small mark like that but when I lined that up neutral was in the wrong place could the selector be wrong inside the box? Or could it be a pinion off a different box?

Neil

Offline Dads bike

« Reply #6 on: 04 Apr 2023 at 09:33 »
Morning Neil
Some things to compare
You have the correct selector gate on the tank? see pic that’s neutral. Fully up is first, there is an inverted gate that will just about fit the tank, ie first fully down then one up neutral.
Rack and pinion. See pic and orientation of the mark on the pinion to the keyway, that’s the correct pinion.
That said the pinion is a taper fit to the selector shaft and located by a key, is the key in place? If not the pinion will move on the shaft.
The pinion must not be over tight on the taper it is very easy to break.
If you need a pic of the selector just say I will get one out.
If all tallies up then you should be able to adjust out the problem on the linkages

Steve

Offline Dads bike

« Reply #7 on: 04 Apr 2023 at 09:38 »
A better pic of the rack and pinion
Steve

Offline Dads bike

« Reply #8 on: 04 Apr 2023 at 09:50 »
A picture of the other tank gate 

Steve

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #9 on: 04 Apr 2023 at 10:23 »
Thanks Steve, yes my gate is like the top one and when I had the rack and pinion set as in your pics I could only seem to find 3 gears is there a chance I might need the inverted gate? The box is going to have to come off for more investigation as the shaft the pinion goes on does have some back and forth movement.

Neil

Offline Dads bike

« Reply #10 on: 04 Apr 2023 at 12:25 »
Afternoon Neil
Providing the gearbox selector shaft (cam shaft) is correct you will not need the inverted gate for the tank.
The selector shaft should have no detectable end float, the parts book indicate that there is a thrust washer to the ball race end of the shaft, that would be a good place to start if you do have end float.
I guess that the pinion Is correctly keyed to the selector shaft.

Ref your previous post about the clutch slipping: Again the club spares did hold stock of the pressure plate springs.

Steve

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #11 on: 04 Apr 2023 at 13:03 »
Thanks again Steve, I’ll have the box out and check it all, ref the clutch I also had a quick look at that and it appears the last owner didn’t use the brass ring with the ball bearings in but used loose balls as they all fell out when I took the springs off and these were much bigger than the balls in the ring so looks like they were just holding the clutch off.

Cheers Neil

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #12 on: 04 Apr 2023 at 20:46 »
So had another look this evening and wish I hadn’t, I’ve bought a pup  :( the more I look the more I find wrong and I was told all was good, so rant over I need to knuckle down and get it sorted.

I can see a small mark on the pinion and when that is lined up with the mark on the rack I take it that’s 1st? Looking at the drum I take it there is no indent for neutral? Though the indent bolt is missing the spring and would it be a ball or bullet like shape object? So that does not help also all the rollers are missing from the final drive gear and any spacers.

Steve you mentioned a thrust washer for the pinion shaft should it be at the pinion end of the shaft or the far end? As there is a spacer at the far end between the drum and the bearing I’ve added pics hope they make sense.

Neil

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #13 on: 04 Apr 2023 at 22:59 »
Hi Neil,
So sorry to hear of your troubles - happened to me a while back on something quite important, and it took me a long time to get the energy to do a complete rebuild on a machine that was said to be fully rebuilt.
If you can measure accurately the roller size you need I might be able to supply them - I assume they're just loose rollers? Keep in mind there might be some wear, so the shaft might need a light grind to get things round again. Depending on the size, I have some oversize rollers.
Cheers
Leon

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #14 on: 05 Apr 2023 at 18:33 »
Cheers Leon,

It’s very frustrating as I thought I was buying a minimal work project not a major one but too late now just need to crack on.

So the parts that were missing were the thrust washer for the drive pinion but found that in a box, the roller bearings and washers for the same pinion but stole them from my 250 box (so now need to replace them) and the detent spring and plunger (is this hardened because if not I’ll make one) so after putting it all together there are now 4 gears and even with the wear on the final drive it seems ok ish BUT the brass bush needs replacing how do I get this out? The bearings on the 2nd shaft (sorry terminology is rubbish) need replacing how do I get the bearing out the housing (chain side not kickstart side) and how do I remove the toothed kickstart gear so I can change the bearing on the main shaft? I presume it’s screwed on?

I’ve added lots of pics one of which is of the final gear which is not very well lined up with the drive gear but looking at the wear that’s how it’s always been oh and also the second shaft goes in the bearing very easily should this be tight.

Hope at least some of this makes sense.

Neil

Offline Dads bike

« Reply #15 on: 05 Apr 2023 at 18:33 »
Evening Neil

So where to start?
Have attached a couple of pics to hopefully help.
First the bearing assembly you are missing, there should be an outer race, two end plates and a shim to go between the two rows of rollers, there should be 38 1/4”x1/4” rollers
The input shaft and output shaft. The solid shaft is the weak point, the case hardness is poor, so if either of the drive chains are over tightened it will score badly, the female shaft has a bronze bush so you will very probably need to have the shaft ground and a new bush made to a running fit ie no play, otherwise you will leak oil.
The spring loaded peg should be bullet shaped.
Will revert later ref setting the rack and pinion need to do a couple of measurements.

Steve

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #16 on: 05 Apr 2023 at 18:40 »
Evening Neil

So where to start?
Have attached a couple of pics to hopefully help.
First the bearing assembly you are missing, there should be an outer race, two end plates and a shim to go between the two rows of rollers, there should be 38 1/4”x1/4” rollers
The input shaft and output shaft. The solid shaft is the weak point, the case hardness is poor, so if either of the drive chains are over tightened it will score badly, the female shaft has a bronze bush so you will very probably need to have the shaft ground and a new bush made to a running fit ie no play, otherwise you will leak oil.
The spring loaded peg should be bullet shaped.
Will revert later ref setting the rack and pinion need to do a couple of measurements.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Many thanks think we were posting about the same time  :lol: just thought should the shim be hardened? And what is availability like on these parts as obviously I’d like the replace the outer race and shim I’ve stolen and also the final drive shaft should really be replaced looking at the wear

Neil

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #17 on: 05 Apr 2023 at 19:44 »
Just discovered the reason for the discrepancy between the gears, it was the wrong way up and also the wrong one 15 tooth not 16 the original was in a box, bit worn but now sounds much quieter when turned by hand 🤦‍♂️

Neil

Offline Dads bike

« Reply #18 on: 05 Apr 2023 at 19:47 »
Evening Neil
Yes I think we were posting at the same time.
Yes the shim should preferably be hardened, I don’t know where you would get one from, Bearing supplier?
Have touched the bullet on the spring loaded peg with a file and it’s not too hard, so if you can make one fill your boots. It does very little work to be fair.
Whatever you do, do NOT replace the bush in the female shaft with brass it will seize very quickly, use phosphor bronze, you will need to cut the old one out, preferably on a lathe
The ball races in the case, you will need to make a small L shaped tool to get behind the race and produce a small slide hammer, don’t pry off the case it will brake the alloy. Heat the case prior to pulling them out they should not be very tight in the inlay material, Replacement bearings are readily available.
The kick start pawl can be very tight to remove as the operation tightens it on to the thread, Doug Kephart put a post regarding a tool and how to remove this pawl, just at the moment I cannot find it. DOUG CAN YOU POINT US IN THE DIRECTION?
The shaft that you think needs replacing! Take a look on eBay item No 224790373715, it’s not mine so don’t know the condition, but may be a cheaper option than refinishing the original plus you get a couple of other bits.
If you now have four gears I will back off regarding the selector shaft.
Are you looking to rebuild the machine as close to original as possible? Or are you just looking to produce a runner?

Steve

Offline Dads bike

« Reply #19 on: 05 Apr 2023 at 20:06 »
19 tooth gear with one missing😩

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 05 Apr 2023 at 23:38 »
Doug Kephart put a post regarding a tool and how to remove this pawl, just at the moment I cannot find it. DOUG CAN YOU POINT US IN THE DIRECTION?

I remember discussing such with someone, but do not recall a post. I have done a search on it too with empty results. I also looked on my computer to see if I saved a sketch or drawing of the tool design, but again no results.

-Doug

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #21 on: 06 Apr 2023 at 07:42 »
Doug Kephart put a post regarding a tool and how to remove this pawl, just at the moment I cannot find it. DOUG CAN YOU POINT US IN THE DIRECTION?

I remember discussing such with someone, but do not recall a post. I have done a search on it too with empty results. I also looked on my computer to see if I saved a sketch or drawing of the tool design, but again no results.

-Doug

Cheers for the reply Doug I’m sure I can make something I presume it’s a right hand thread?

Neil

Offline Red

« Reply #22 on: 06 Apr 2023 at 13:12 »

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #23 on: 06 Apr 2023 at 20:42 »
Well thanks guys, with all the info you gave me a bit of luck a trawl through my Douglas spares box and the help of an amazing engineer I think I’ve a usable fully functioning 4 speed gearbox the output shaft is worn where the roller bearings go so either need a new one if anybody has one for sale or a grind and oversize rollers but I think it should be ok for now.

Now onto the next issue  :roll:

Neil

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #24 on: 07 Apr 2023 at 18:04 »
So next issues, the brakes did not work and I found out it was because they had the rear shoes in the front and vise versa and so were the brake arms. My problem now is are there any drawings/photos of how both front and back wheels go together with all spacers etc and also what thread is the bolt that holds the brake arm is it 1/4unc ? Because the builder seemed to like to use metric :shock:

Secondly is this the correct clutch release arm? Why is there a bracket in it and should there be that gap when it’s fully clockwise also the thrust bearing I presume the lip side goes toward the arm.

Neil

Offline Red

« Reply #25 on: 08 Apr 2023 at 09:12 »
Neil

They should be brake Bands not shoes - see the link below

Roy

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=5978.msg21969#msg21969

Offline Red

« Reply #26 on: 08 Apr 2023 at 09:23 »
Neil

Link below may help with your clutch problems

Roy

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=6434.0

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #27 on: 08 Apr 2023 at 12:39 »
Thanks Roy and yes sorry I should of said bands I think I’ve sorted the brakes though the front one is a bit  tight even with the adjusting bolts  fully retracted so I think the springs are a bit weak or maybe the friction material has swollen  :frown: and I’m sure I’ll sus the clutch release it just seems to move quite a lot before it starts on the ramp.

My main issue now is the wheel spacers. Should there be a washer/spacer inside the brake plate or should the brake plate just pull up against the bearing nut? Also should there be any washers/spacers between the wheels and frame/forks either brake side or dust cap side because there wasn’t one on the back wheel R/H side between the frame and dust cap and the dust cap is now damaged as it pulled into the frame slot.

Neil

Offline Red

« Reply #28 on: 08 Apr 2023 at 16:30 »
Hi Neil

Without stripping the wheels on my bike I honestly can't remember. Attached is a parts list for the Aero and although there are no illustrations it may still help sorting out what spacers and washers should be there.

Roy

1936-37 Aero Parts List (3.4Mb PDF)

Image added and file converted from attachment to linked - Dave, 09Apr2023
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2023 at 17:27 by Dave »

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #29 on: 08 Apr 2023 at 18:45 »
Thanks Roy it does list washers and distance washers but without a diagram or how many are used as well it’s a bit tricky, Im sure I’ll sus it out one way or another I might even take my 250 apart that may well be similar  :)

So I’ll now ask about the girder forks then  :lol: how easy are these to take apart and put back together? I only ask as it looks like it has home made parts but luckily I think I have aero 600 parts that came with my 2nd 250 as they are too big for the 250 pics attached.

Cheers Neil

Offline Red

« Reply #30 on: 09 Apr 2023 at 09:20 »
Hi Neil

I don't think my forks are the correct for the Aero. I did strip them down without any major problems. They have lock stops fiited whereas I believe the 1937 models had a slight change to the headstock and lock stops were no longer fitted. See photo.

All the best

Roy

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #31 on: 09 Apr 2023 at 11:11 »
Chalk and cheese forks! Your might not be exactly right for your bike Roy, but they look lovely. Yours, Neil, look... is "ghastly" too harsh?

99% of girder fork designs - from the original Druid in 1907 - rely on having two rigid assemblies, each of 2xspindles + 2xlinks. These must always bolt up dead tight, and (importantly) parallel. I don't think yours will do this Neil? It looks like the spindles just go though holes in the links? There are various ways of doing it - shoulders on the spindles, threaded links + locknuts, etc., but rigidity is the key.

Then there's the "parallelness" of the holes to sort out: the three on the fork (upper spindle, lower spindle, and axle) and the two on the head stem (upper and lower spindles). I discovered long ago that I couldn't do this myself, but I have a local machine shop who can do it for me. All five need to be parallel - tricky to set up but very rewarding if done properly.

Then there's dealing with the end float. Again lots of ways from different manufacturers, but important.

And finally there's often a friction damper, which is never (?) implemented by tightening the spindle nuts!!

Sounds simple, but there's a lot of work sorting out an operational and safe set of girder forks. Hopefully your spares will provide the missing bits to get you started.

Cheers

Leon

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #32 on: 09 Apr 2023 at 12:50 »
Thanks again Roy, yes when I first saw the bike I thought the stops were missing then read that the design changed on the 1937 model.

Cheers Leon, the parts that have been made do look terrible (not by me) and I think the top link bars do not come up to a shoulder like they should but the spares I have do (bottom photos) and I don’t know if it’s the spring or the way they are built but there is hardly any movement in them. So is there a write up anywhere on how to take them apart? Will they go with off with a boing.

Neil

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #33 on: 10 Apr 2023 at 14:49 »
Hi Roy, any chance of a pic from the front and above of the forks please I now know why mine didn’t move they were tightened up on the top to take up the gap I presume there should be shims? And I presume it should be the same either side? The pic is the total gap.

Neil

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: 10 Apr 2023 at 15:54 »
Here is a set of 1936 Aero fork links. Far as I know, introduced on some of the 1935 models like the Endeavour and Blue Chief with a new pattern of lightweight forks and ran through the 1938 models. They are 3/4 x 1/4 inch flat bar, with the lower links having a 2-1/2 diameter x 1/8 inch thick washer brazed on for a damper washer surface. One set reamed and one set tapped for the spindles.

The 1934 and most of the 1935 heavyweights (excluding those mentioned above) had a forged or cast steel lower link, but essentially the same flat bar upper link. If I remember correctly, those used 1/2 inch spindles and the Aeros used 7/16.

-Doug

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #35 on: 10 Apr 2023 at 18:10 »
Hi Doug, and yes that’s exactly what I now have as your picture but I presume it’s ok to fit washers? I see they sell knurled ones for girder forks and it’s the only way I can get mine to seem to work nicely also how thick should the friction washer be? Mines quite thick so might be why I need washers on the bottom arms and also what sort of spring device would be used behind the knob to put more friction on the forks I’ve found Star shaped ones online but these would not work on the arms I have.

Thanks Neil

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #36 on: 10 Apr 2023 at 22:54 »
I'm not understanding these forks very well.

I assume that the spindles are stepped at the "reamed" end so that part of the assembly process is to tighten the link against a shoulder with the nut? I hope the spindle doesn't just go through the hole in the link without fastening?

Sorry for banging on, but the fork is a vital part of the bike if you want to stay alive. It needs correct design and materials to avoid disaster.

The brass knurled washer used by Norton and others was to help get the end float right: when correctly adjusted it should be possible to just turn the washer with fingers.

Leon

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #37 on: 10 Apr 2023 at 22:59 »
Hi yes they are stepped so they tighten to a shoulder on the off side

Neil

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: 10 Apr 2023 at 23:25 »
The star/spring washer has a notch to straddle the link.

The friction washers are a brass filament reinforced, woven material. I measure from 0.107 to 0.117 thick, though I have no idea how much wear might have occurred.

I do not think Douglas tended to fit wear washers between the girders and the links. However in the bag of original nuts for the fork spindles there are two plain washers. I did not make a note as to where they were positioned, but I suspect they went at the top of the girder as otherwise the face there is flush with the surrounding lug and could use something to make the bearing surface stand proud so the girders did not rub where they ought not to. It would require measuring the width across the girder and the width across the top yoke to see if washers were needed to make the dimensions equal. You can probably just as easily do that on your bits.

-Doug

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #39 on: 11 Apr 2023 at 07:01 »
Hi yes they are stepped so they tighten to a shoulder on the off side
Excellent - I will stop worrying now. Seen too many shockers...

Leon

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #40 on: 11 Apr 2023 at 08:02 »
Thanks Doug that’s exactly the info I needed and you have described it exactly how I should have but what I meant to say didn’t come across very well in my frustrated ramblings. I will do some measuring to make some sized washers for the top links between them and the girders because the girders are narrower than the top yoke and the reason I’ve had to use a couple of washers on the bottom yoke is because the friction disks are probably twice as thick as the ones you stated. So I presume washers should be equal either side of the girders as it seems to sit more to one side.

Cheers Leon and as above I think my ramblings got lost brain and keyboard.

Thanks guys any info is greatly received Neil

Offline Bob M

« Reply #41 on: 11 Apr 2023 at 08:50 »
Some manufacturers used red fibre washers instead of those knurled steel washers and these tend to get discarded during disassembly as many don’t understand their significance.
I currently have a 1939 Montgomery Terrier in my shed that has red fibre washers on one end of the links and Thackeray washers at the other. In the 1930’s Matchless also fitted red fibre washers.
Possibly Douglas did also?

Cheers,

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #42 on: 11 Apr 2023 at 19:24 »
Cheers for the reply Bob M, had another look today so have an update that maybe of some interest the top yoke is 5.3785 and the girders are 5.2000 or as best as I could measure them so the makes a difference of 0.1785 divide by 2 and that makes for a spacer of 0.08925 for each side so allowing for my measuring errors I’m going to make 2 x 3/32 spacers for the top link and see how it goes as for the friction disks the ones that were fitted were approx 0.2200 so much thicker than listed by Doug so this would be the reason why I needed spacers on the bottom yoke.

I’ve yet again been very lucky the friction disks on my 2nd aero 250 were actually too thin and I had used a spacer disk (not ideal but all I could do at the time) so I took them off and low and behold the thick ones I had on the 600 fitted the 250 and the ones on the 250 (approx 0.1140) fitted the 600 and I no longer needed spacers on the bottom yoke  :mrgreen: so I think once I’ve made the spacers the girder forks should be all ok.

An interesting thing is and Leon you might be able to help here but the link arms/friction arms are totally different on this 250 they have hollow shafts on them and there’s no shoulders etc and the spindles are the same diameter for the full length with the same thread both ends but yet again one arm is threaded and the other not.

Neil
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2023 at 07:54 by Tazmantic »

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #43 on: 11 Apr 2023 at 23:02 »
Hi Neil,

The links with the "built in bushes" are either BSA or copy of BSA - if you clean the paint off you might find the piled-arms logo stamped on them. They were used from the early 1920s well into the 1930s. There's a lot to like about the design in that it's rigid, has a large wearing surface, and is unlikely to shear (as a small-ish spindle and a flat-plate link might).

All the stuff we play with now is so old it's hard to know what was original! I think we can only do our best: measure, plan and make stuff that works the best it can. Re spacers for spindles and links, keep in mind that if holes are worn and (particularly) not exactly parallel, the links will work to one side so beware of using anything soft for washers. Druid forks for a long time (from 1907!!) used Thackaray washers (the original ones are flat-section, double wound, with parallel faces) to provide a spring tension to take up the end float, but careful setup is just as good. But do choose spindle steel carefully - "silver steel" still gets suggested but should never be used because doesn't have the core strength and is more likely to snap than bend.

Cheers

Leon

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #44 on: 12 Apr 2023 at 07:06 »
Cheers Leon,

So it looks like my 250 may have bsa lower links that’s quite interesting maybe if they’re a better design I should put them on the 600?? I have a feeling the lower spindles on the 250 may be silver steel but all the rest are original and I did read what steel should be used but can’t remember where now. As for the star spring where could I get one of these? I’m sure I won’t get an original but I could slot one to fit.

Cheers Neil

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #45 on: 12 Apr 2023 at 21:54 »
Well thanks guys with all the info looks like I’ve now got properly set up girder forks on both the 250 and 600 there was issues with both so many thanks, on to the next problem  :cry:

Neil

Offline Dads bike

« Reply #46 on: 14 Apr 2023 at 09:00 »
Morning Neil
Finally been able to catch up on your thread, good to see most things have been answered for you and you now have a good set of forks. One or two points that I can see remain unanswered hopefully I will cover.

The clutch operating arm, this looks like someone has provided a bodge for a return spring from the arm to the lower part of the chain case. The spring should be a volute spring that the control cable and adjusting screw fit through, You can if necessary use a coil spring cut to length.

The front axle, there are spacers both sides, see the pics, the one on the brake plate side should be thick enough so that when the nut is tightened the brake plate edge has clearance between it and the fork blades.
The opposite side has a spacer that can be removed to fit the optional extra speedo drive.
Note the penny washers on the outside surface of the forks, these are a neat fit into the spot drilling on the forks and axle diameter so locate the the axial in line and prevent misalignment.

The brake lever holding bolt.is 1/4” dia 26tpi, threaded length 9/16” with a shank length of 2 3/4” note the over size head 1/2” across the flats.

Thanks for looking for the gear wheel.

Steve

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #47 on: 14 Apr 2023 at 16:22 »
Thanks Steve that’s great think I had almost sorted the front wheel there was allsorts of washers and spacers in there (see pic) but is there also a washer/spacer on the inside of the brake plate between the plate and the bearing nut? Also the front brake is dragging quite bad so I’m not sure if the springs are worn (though it lists different part numbers for front and rear brake springs) or the lining is just too thick.

That’s interesting about the spring there is just a coil spring on there now so what size should the volute spring be?

I made a couple of bolts for the brake arms today so hope they are the correct size.

The Gearbox bolts are too short only holding by a few threads so need to get some more they are 3/8 x 20 tpi but are they UNF or BSC?

Cheers Neil
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2023 at 16:27 by Tazmantic »

Offline Dads bike

« Reply #48 on: 14 Apr 2023 at 17:31 »
Evening Neil
Bear with me I need to drop my front wheel out to be sure I have my facts right as the parts list does not list a lock nut that I think should be there.
The brake drum side bearing abuts the shoulder of the spindle and is held with a nut/spacer and I think is locked with a thin lock nut all of these together allow the break plate a little clearance to the break drum, if you have a spacer in there I think that’s where the lock nut should be?
If the breaks are dragging it’s most likely the material is too thick as the return springs on the band are fairly robust /strong.

Take care with the gearbox mounting bolts, they go into a blind hole and need to be the correct length or you will very easily punch a hole into the box, they will be BSC thread.
Steve

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #49 on: 14 Apr 2023 at 18:29 »
Cheers Steve, yes a thin lock nut would sound right now you mention it and if I push the brake arm the wrong way it does release but I must admit it does not move much at all either way.

I did think that it would possibly be BSC but can’t seem to find any bolts so might have to make some.

Cheers Neil