Author Topic: Gear linkage for a CW  (Read 790 times)

Offline Darryl

Gear linkage for a CW
« on: 22 Mar 2023 at 01:08 »
Dear All
Could someone please assist me with the gear linkage for the CW. My first question - is the linkage the same on a two speed TS as the three speed CW. If not, what are the differences. Some dimensions would be great. Thanks to some members of this site I have been able to make and obtain the down rod and the rear rod but how are these to rods join together to work the gear box. My last question pertains to the gear lever that goes to the quadrant. Most levers I have seen are solid brass type, but in the pictures of CW’s that I have seen the lever appear to be different as it seems much longer and thinner and looks to be made from spring steel and passes through the quadrant. Is this correct?
Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Darryl

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
Re: Gear linkage for a CW
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2023 at 06:27 »
My last question pertains to the gear lever that goes to the quadrant. Most levers I have seen are solid brass type, but in the pictures of CW’s that I have seen the lever appear to be different as it seems much longer and thinner and looks to be made from spring steel and passes through the quadrant. Is this correct?
Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Darryl

Hi Darryl,

I will attempt to answer the second question as I think that one is easier to answer. Hopefully the attached pictures will help you out as a starting point.

Yes you are correct - the 3 speed (including CW) tramming handle is different to the two speed and it is longer and thinner than the two speed variety. Yes the thin section is a spring steel "blade" that bends when you change gear. It is attached to the vertical rod in much the same way as the 2 speed variety.

There are also two additional pieces to the three speed gear selector a) a bottom plate which screws onto where the end stops would be on a two speed quadrant and b) a gate which fits over the top of the tramming handle. The "gate" part is actual underneath the casting and the tramming handle needs to be pushed down against the blade spring to change gear.

Hopefully an answer to the first question in a little while.

Cheers

Hutch

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2023 at 07:06 »
Dear All
Could someone please assist me with the gear linkage for the CW. My first question - is the linkage the same on a two speed TS as the three speed CW. If not, what are the differences. Some dimensions would be great. Thanks to some members of this site I have been able to make and obtain the down rod and the rear rod but how are these to rods join together to work the gear box.
.......Thanks
Darryl

I'm not sure I can answer this question accurately as I have not finished off connecting up the linkages yet so can only pass on what I have found out so far - I could well be wrong and happy to be corrected ! :-).

a) the horizontal linkages between the vertical operating rod (909D) and the gearbox for the 3 speed (900D) is different to the 2 speed one (1286D). It is longer and the shape is different to allow for the different position of the selector on the gearbox.

b) the Bottom actuating lever for vertical operating rod 1298D appears to be the same for 3 speed and 2 speed.

c) there is a distance collar (933D) on down operating rod (909D) which sits between 1298D and the frame bottom bracket. (Edit WRONG! the distance collar sits below the tramming handle!) I don't have an original so guessed at the length and outside diameter (1/2" for both). I have not drilled the hole for the pin on 909D for 1298D yet. but I  will set it up the height of the distance collar so there is the correct tension (...by "feel") between the tramming handle and gate. I roughly made it out of some scrap bronze as a test piece and assumed there might be an iteration process to get it "right"......

Edit: See reply #5 below.

d) adjustable striking rod  for 2 speed  (1285D) appears to be roughly the same as adjustable striking rod for the 3 speed (899D)

I don't have and original 3 speed linkages so my dimensions would be a guess. I have some original 2 speed parts that might be able to give some dimensions that are common with the 3 speed parts, but maybe another forum member can help out with measurements off an original?

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Hutch

« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2023 at 11:13 by Hutch »

Offline Darryl

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2023 at 07:59 »
Hutch
Thank you for the help and taking the time to reply to my questions. You have given me somewhere to start on the gear linkage assembly.
Regards
Darryl

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2023 at 09:50 »
No worries Darryl,

I have been looking at some pictures of 3 speeds and not sure I have the position of the distance collar correct as I have seen some with no distance collar, the distance collar directly under the tramming handle and also below the little link 1298D !!. I will see if I can find a period picture that will show what it was originally out of the Douglas factory.......

Cheers

Hutch

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:15 »
Darryl,

Looks like I was wrong on the location of the distance collar - In this picture of a CW in Stilltime Collection looks like it is under the tramming handle - but quite hard to see clearly - So I've learnt something new !!

Does anyone else have any better pictures from an original (i.e. unrestored) machine?

cheers and sorry to have possibly lead you astray,

Hutch
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2023 at 11:00 by Hutch »

Offline Darryl

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2023 at 22:32 »
Hutch
Thanks for the update, much appreciated.
Regards
Darryl

Offline Alan

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2023 at 04:47 »
Pic of the bottom connection on the very original 1925 CW at Nabiac ( apologies for the quality). The pin locates the swiveling short rod that sits on top of the frame mounted locator. Nothing underneath. My 24 CW came with the same arrangement and I found that any slop or
ovality at  any of the connections here or at the gearbox causes grief re accurate gear changes.

Offline Darryl

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2023 at 20:07 »
Alan
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am appreciative of your input. Doesn't sound like there is any room for error.
Regards
Darryl