Author Topic: EW Flywheel wanted  (Read 969 times)

Offline DEW

EW Flywheel wanted
« on: 25 Feb 2023 at 08:23 »
The clutch on my 1927 EW350 Douglas wont release and I suspect incorrect assembly but won't know until I can disassemble.
The issue I'm having is that the flywheel is very stubborn (I'm wondering if it was reassembled with locktite or similiar).
So far I've had a puller made but using the "apply some pressure and hit puller with hammer" method has only resulted in partially pulling the thread out of the flywheel. Next step will be be to make a puller to engage the holes in the flywheel (as per the EW flywheel Removal thread) which should also make it easier to get some heat in as well.

BUT..... I'm not confident. On the assumption that doesn't work and I end up damaging it getting it off I'm wondering if anyone has a surplus EW 350 flywheel they'd be willing to sell?

Cheers
Dan

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
Re: EW Flywheel wanted
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2023 at 09:35 »
Hi Dan I did mine this way ta Daren

Image converted to linked file to correct distorted display. Please see Taking photos with mobile/cell phone - Dave, 26Feb2023
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2023 at 17:46 by Dave »
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline DEW

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2023 at 19:41 »
Thanks Darren,
 Various other posts warn against conventional pullers due to the flimsy nature of the flywheel. I'm glad that worked for you and I may have to resort to that, but it will be a last resort and I suspect it may end up distorting the flywheel, hence the reason for looking for a spare!

My engine was rebuilt some time in the mid 1990's and hasn't been run since (except we got it going a month or so ago) and I have a sneaking suspicion that locktite or similiar has been used on the taper.....

Cheers
Dan

Offline Red

« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2023 at 16:36 »
Hi Darren

The attached instructions were posted by another member (Chris) so I take no credit. Might help.

Roy

Offline DEW

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2023 at 21:16 »
Thanks Roy,

I saw that document published in the thread "EW Flywheel Removal" and as mentioned in my original post the next step is to get that puller made (actually the modified version that engages the slots in the flywheel). However my toolmaker mate is just about to depart on 4 weeks holiday so I have to be patient........ :)

Cheers
Dan

Offline SunbeamS7

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2023 at 02:17 »
Hi Dan,
I can well appreciate your apprehension in removing/risking damaging the flywheel (i know that feeling all too well!).
I have a flywheel/clutch, if the worst occurs and i certainly hope it doesnt.
Some peace of mind i hope?
Regards,
bryan

Offline DEW

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2023 at 03:51 »
Hi Bryan,

Very much appreciate that, thank you very much. :)

I have a 4 1/2 week wait before I get a tool made and can have another go.

If the worst happens can I contact you via this thread?

Cheers
Dan

Offline phil1

« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2023 at 08:02 »
Hi Dan
             I have had similar problems over the years where something just won't shift, and found some (concentrated) heat from a gas torch  around the area will expand the metal sufficiently enough to help release your stubborn flywheel! Regards Phil.

Offline DEW

« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb 2023 at 19:47 »
Hi Phil,

Thanks for that. One of the problems with the conventional puller is that it makes it very difficult to get heat where its needed. So one advantage of the tool that engages the holes in the flywheels is that it allows heat to be directed to the taper. I just have to wait a month before I get the puller built and then we'll have another go!

Cheers
Dan

Offline DEW

« Reply #9 on: 05 Apr 2023 at 08:06 »
Thanks all for your suggestions.

We finally got it off using a 3 leg puller. Fortunately no distortion or damage to the flywheel. Phew....
There was no loctite as we suspected. The problem was a slight wear lip on the taper, maybe a couple of thou that just made it stick.

It appears that there are some clutch parts missing and maybe some repairs that may be creating some issues. I'm going to start yet another EW clutch thread.....

Cheers
Dan