Author Topic: Wheel rim and spoke details  (Read 543 times)

Offline saluki42

Wheel rim and spoke details
« on: 07 Feb 2023 at 10:27 »
Hi I'm trying to finalise the details of the wheels for my 34 Model Z. I have had new spindles made to fit the replacement bearings and so far all look s well but now for the rims. I'm assuming they are 20" rims but unsure of the rim width WM0, 1, 2 or 3 also the spoke lacing style, 1 cross, 2 cross or 3 cross, please see attached.

If anybody can help me with these details I'd be very grateful

Chris

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Wheel rim and spoke details
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2023 at 11:52 »
Chris,
         According to the publicity sheets for the Z and Z1 models, the wheels are listed as 26" with 26 x 3.5" tyres. Now, this is the prewar way of measuring wheels and tyres, 26" overall diameter x the tyre section(3.5") - so the rims are acually 26"less twice the tyre section (7"), in other words, 19". Postwar, they were known as WM2 x 19" rims. WM3 rims were usually reserved for use with 4.00 tyres.
  The publicity sheet also lists the spokes as 9 gauge. There is no mention of the spoke pattern, but I would expect 'cross 3' to be the norm.

Hope this helps,
                          Regards,
                                       Eddie.

P.S. the spoke pattern will look considerably different to that shown in your illustration, as all spokes on Douglas wheels go to the spool hub, rather than the brake drum.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 07 Feb 2023 at 19:22 »
Chris,

Don't forget to paint it. This is the original WM2 rim for my 1934 OW1. Would imagine the Z/Z1 used the same.

-Doug

Offline saluki42

« Reply #3 on: 08 Feb 2023 at 10:21 »
Thanks Eddie WM2x19" they are then. I realise the picture wasn't a representation of the Douglas spoke setup but just a standard from a sales data sheet.

Oh and yes I'm going to sort out a painter for the rims first Doug, looking to see if my normal source for rims will paint as well.

Thanks again
Chris