Author Topic: Dragonfly points  (Read 669 times)

Offline Sgtbiro

Dragonfly points
« on: 23 Jan 2023 at 19:02 »
Hi all if i have already asked this before i am sorry but i cant remember but is there any alternative to the Miller points on the Dragonfly, if so what are they and where do you get them from, the problem i have is that the points that i have on my bike are old and worn and although the bike runs ok i am a bit worried the they will give up the ghost when i am out for a ride so i would like to install some better ones.   

Thanks Kevin..

Offline andy1303

Re: Dragonfly points
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2023 at 18:53 »
Hi Kevin,

I appreciate how frustrating it is to not get any responses to questions on the forum, so I thought I'd at least answer and give you the benefit of my minimal experience.

Firstly, I would really recommend using the search function. This question has been asked before numerous times, and this perhaps is why the people with all the experience get fed up of repeating the same answers.

That said, the long and the short of it is Miller electrics are very hard to track down. There are alternatives to the Miller points, but they may require modification. Eddie suggested some alternatives in a previous thread, and based on that I found http://store.heinkel-trojan-club.co.uk/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_66&product_id=590 that may or may not work - I haven't had reason to purchase any yet to find out. From memory, some late Velocettes also had Miller ignition, so the Velocette club may also be a source of assistance.

As for upgrading, the easiest upgrade to the ignition is the Honda coil upgrade which has the benefit of not using the distributor cap or rotor for distributing spark, although they remain in situ. The points are still used.

The next step up is to try and find a Lucas distributor that could be modified to fit, and may then have electronic points available.

The ultimate is to turn up a new distributor body on a lathe that can take electronic points. I know one forum member has done this.

I hope this helps, but as I say all of this information comes from repeated searches on the forum.

Andy

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2023 at 08:43 »
Hi Andy thank you for your reply it is very much appreciated, my trouble is I am not that bright( LOL )and don’t understand a lot of what some of the reply’s mean like wasted spark and twin coils so I need all the help I can get but will take on board every thing you said and do a bit more digging thanks again for your help.

Kevin..

Offline Red

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2023 at 09:30 »
Hi Kevin

Have a look at the link below. May help with the ignition problems on your Dragonfly. I am still using the original miller points which came with the bike when I got just over 50 years ago and yes it does get used. Provided they are clean and filed flat to make a good contact you shouldn't have any problems. Most of the problems are with the rotor arm and distributor cap (cracks). Hence the reason for using a wasted spark system. Does away with these two items. Very simple - Honda 6 volt coil with two HT leads - cost about £20.  If I can be of any further help then please email me on the club's secretary email address.

Roy

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=5387.msg19524#msg19524

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2023 at 18:40 »
Hi Roy thank you so much for you reply the information you have provided will be very helpful as I try to get my head round my issue, having said that if you have been running you Dragonfly for 50 years on the same points I think I might just be worrying to much as my bike seams to run just fine with the points that are on.

Thanks again Kevin..