Author Topic: stop collar for drive cam Mk 4  (Read 557 times)

Offline Darryl

stop collar for drive cam Mk 4
« on: 02 Oct 2022 at 01:36 »
Dear Forum
Could someone please assist, on disassembly of the drive sprocket on my Mk 4, I notice the the stop collar for cam was missing part # 32426 according to the parts manual. Would anyone know the width and diameter of the stop collar and is it made from steel or alloy. Looks to me, to be a spacer between the shock absorber driving cam and collar for the spring.
Thanks for any assistance
Darryl

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: stop collar for drive cam Mk 4
« Reply #1 on: 02 Oct 2022 at 07:33 »
Darryl,
             The stop collar actually performs 2 tasks. Firstly, it controls the load on the shock absorber spring, and secondly, it acts as a stop for the lift of the shock absorber cam. Without stripping one out, I can't give you definate dimensions, but as a guide, the diameter needs to be about the same as the diameter of the boss on the cam, and the thickness about 1/2" to 9/16". If you dont have the original spring you may need to experiment with the thickness of the stop to get the correct action - maybe, start off with a 1/4" thick stop and several 1/2" washers, and adjust the thickness to suit. On the standard set up, it was possible, under hard acceleration in the lower gears, to make the shock absorber want to ride over the top - hence the large OD of the stop. When complete, the through bolt and nut should be fully tightened to prevent wear on the drive dog (the castle nut and split pin are not there for adjustment)

Hope this helps,
                           Eddie.

Offline Darryl

Re: stop collar for drive cam Mk 4
« Reply #2 on: 02 Oct 2022 at 20:06 »
Eddie
Thanks, for the assistance, I do have the original spring so will start as you suggested.
Regards
Darryl