Author Topic: 1030's kickstart spring  (Read 230 times)

Offline saluki42

1030's kickstart spring
« on: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:26 »
Hi there, I'm reaching the end of the gearbox build for my Model Z and have a query. I only have the one spring that initially seemed to be ok but now doesn't seem to fit within the housing. I have attached a picture of the spring and as you can see its very tight at the top so I was wondering if it is in fact the right one.

Image converted to linked file - Dave, 28Sep2022
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2022 at 20:49 by Dave »

Offline Dads bike

Re: 1030's kickstart spring
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2022 at 22:08 »
Evening
See attached pic. Loosely assembled parts of mid 30s box, the spring attachment is to the right hand stud as viewed.turn anti clockwise to fit.
note part No 13406 bearing ring kick start spring is considerably smaller than the one in your box,
Also note part Nos 7764 & 7763 on the two assembly studs, rubber buffer large and small (bump stops) nearly always missing.

Your spring looks to be correct but the bearing ring too large and looks likely to bind and break the spring if used.

Steve

Offline saluki42

Re: 1030's kickstart spring
« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2022 at 09:06 »
Thanks for the information Steve you have answered a couple of my questions there which will make my life easier. I'll have to turn up a replacement spring bearing which shouldn't cause a problem.
The only big issue I've had with this gearbox is my jigsaw of a Model Z came with three fully dismantled and differently shaped gearboxes with a random assortment of shafts and gears. At the moment I seem to have a functioning 4 speed gearbox with rack and pinion selector and now hopefully, with half hours machining, working kickstart. Get this one sorted and I'll have to loom at what the other ones are.

Thanks again
Chris

motorcycle