Author Topic: 1923 TT Douglas  (Read 877 times)

Offline SteveW

1923 TT Douglas
« on: 25 Aug 2022 at 16:49 »
In the Milntown Collection in the Isle of Man is the 1923 TT winning Freddy Dixon banking sidecar outfit, although I understand the RA machine is not the actual winning machine. The outfit was last used about 15 years ago in a TT parade but unfortunately one of the pistons disintegrated and seized the big end on that side.

I have read with interest the details, and complexity of the RA crank, and refurbishment of the damaged crank seems all but impossible. Manufacture of a new, simpler ‘pressed up’ crank has been investigated, as the engine will never be run ‘in anger’ again, but to have it run is our aim.

However, my query is, did Douglas fit a crankshaft of the RA dimensions, albeit a bolt-up or pressed-up type, to any model?
I am one of number of volunteers looking after the Milntown bikes and cars and do have access to some precision engineering facilities on the island. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: 1923 TT Douglas
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2022 at 20:06 »
All the prewar ohv crankshafts were forged from a single piece, from the 1921 S1/S2 to the OW/OW1 models of 1935. There were some Works only/protoypes prior to that, but the ones I have seen any details on also are one-piece. Not much more rigid than a bent coat hanger, but were one-piece (until they broke!)

-Doug