Author Topic: S6 engine information  (Read 267 times)

Offline Barry B

S6 engine information
« on: 22 Aug 2022 at 21:25 »
Hi all,

I am trying to find an exploded parts view of the 600cc S6 engine.
I think that my bike has excessive wear on the plate that holds the breather in place and that there is possibly some washers/spacers missing.
If anybody has pictures they could share?

Thanks in advance,

Barry 

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: S6 engine information
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2022 at 07:28 »
Barry,
         If you look into the timing chest, you will see that the valve gear is clamped to the crankcases by the 4 main studs through the cases. It is imperitive that these studs are tightened in the correct sequence. Starting from the LH side, tighten the 4 nuts (2 are behind the primary chaincase, and 2 actually secure the chaincase). With these nuts tightened, you will see that the crankcases and the mounting blocks for the cam followers are now firmly clamped together. The outrigger plate that supports the cam spindles (and carries the timed breather) can now be fitted, along with the timed breather (this is also a good time to loosely fit the banjo bolt for the oil feed). With everything correctly aligned, the 3 nuts, the banjo bolt and the 2 cam spindle nuts can be fully tightened. At this point, all the valve gear should be firmly located within the timing chest (even gentle leverage with a screwdriver shouldn't cause the outrigger plate to move!). Prolonged running with the outrigger plate free to move has been known to result in loose cam spindles, and in extreme cases, a broken off oil feed post (for the outrigger plate). When you are satisfied everything is OK, refit the timing cover, but don't overtighten the securing nuts. Overtightening usually results in cracks across the bottom 2 holes.
   Hope this is of some help,
                                        Regards,
                                                     Eddie.

Offline Barry B

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2022 at 18:58 »
Hi Eddie,

Thank you for your reply.
I haven't disturbed further in than the outrigger plate.
I am concerned that there are some washers/shims missing as there is a mark where the breather has rubbed on the plate.

Barry

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2022 at 07:21 »
Barry,
          From your reply, it seems all is well. The rotary breather is meant to run against the back of the outrigger plate. The back of the breather should have 4 short springs (between it and the cam gear) that keep it pressed against the plate. A hole in the plate lines up with a drilling in the timing cover that takes the fumes to another drilling across the back of the crankcases that exits via the joint between the crankcases and the primary chaincase (there is a short spout in the chaincase that directs any oil onto the primary chain). Just inside the crankcase drilling, there is a near vertical drilling with a non-return valve that allows any oil that has settled in the breather port to drain back into the crankcase (thus reducing spillage). The drilling in the timing cover should have a seal (originally cork) that prevents any leakage of gases.

Regards,
                Eddie.

motorcycle