Author Topic: Dragonfly speedo +  (Read 1083 times)

Offline ZEBB100

Dragonfly speedo +
« on: 07 Jul 2022 at 09:51 »
Hi, Just getting to the last part of putting my 57 Dragonfly together , can anyone point me to the source of a speedo and cable that will
fit ?  , i ordered a Indian  copy that was 50mm deep but the cable seams to jam up against the headlight bulb fitting although it will fit at a pinch ,.
 I have fitted a standard Lucas headlight with the bpf bulb and holder , do i need a slimmer headlight lens ? i know the speedo cable holder was offset on a original speedo but at £400 + if i could find one is a no go !.
 I have thought about gutting the case and fitting a digital speedo in the case to go road legal but this seams a shame .

Offline EW-Ron

Re: Dragonfly speedo +
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jul 2022 at 22:44 »
I have thought about gutting the case and fitting a digital speedo in the case to go road legal but this seams a shame .

You can buy a variety of GPS based speedos these days, that aren't too far away from speedos with needles of old.
Thus no need for a cable...
Won't be 100% original of course.
And doesn't work in a tunnel - but who rides through tunnels ...
Make sure you match the diam, they aren't all std sizes. And have the correct voltage.

Offline flea

« Reply #2 on: 09 Jul 2022 at 02:21 »
trouble with gps speedos a lot need to locate the sat which can take a min or so but if you just ride off before it does they have trouble locating on the move .. that and black spots , i have a brand new one on my xs650 and have this trouble  but start bike and put on helmet and jacket and its no trouble

Offline ZEBB100

« Reply #3 on: 09 Jul 2022 at 08:32 »
Hi , Thank you both for the replies ,the only problem i found was the speedo hole is 80mm and most GPS speedos ( cheap ) are 85mm,
 not wanting to enlarge the mounting hole i thought i was stuck , i did find a very nice 80mm one but at £350 + that`s a no go .
 so as a update i ordered a cheap 85mm one from china and am hoping to file the plastic case down to fit.
 Option 2 is not fit the cable just tuck it up in the headlight and if i do get pulled for speeding , tell the officer i`m waiting for a replacement speedo from the factory !
Gary

Offline yosemite

« Reply #4 on: 09 Jul 2022 at 22:26 »
Hi
Dont know if the speedo is magnetic or a chronometric unit so this may be irrelevant , but there is a chap at quite a few shows who sells replacement bodies, bezels annd glasses etc for both magnetic and chronometric speedos, the magnetic speedo and rev counter bodies are to take his screw on  bezels, like a chronometric rather than the crimp on type which is a pain in the backside to assemble neatly even if you use a new bezel. If you are using a digital unit rrather than an original then could you fit it in one of these rather than using an original and removing the guts
Unfortunately all my paperwork is still in a box somewhere, possibly in Ireland so dont have the guys name to hand but hes at a lot of shows  and the speedo parts are all he does,maybe someone else will be able to supply his contact details
Paul

Offline AndyMorgan

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2022 at 17:29 »
I also fitted the cheap indian speedo and the found that the cable can be tight on the Lucas headlamp but if you remove the spring that fits on the speedo nut to prevent kinks then it works ok