Author Topic: T35 big end rollers  (Read 317 times)

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
T35 big end rollers
« on: 03 Jun 2022 at 05:49 »
For a T35 crankshaft overhaul I need standard size 3/16 x 1/2" big end rollers.
The rollers are worn, other parts are still usable.
I would like to get help, do anyone know a source?

Michael

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: T35 big end rollers
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jun 2022 at 06:45 »
Michael,
               If your crankshaft has 3/16" x 1/2" rollers, it has already been reconditioned/modified. The T35/Mark series engines all had 2 rows of 1/4" x 1/4" rollers (but in various designs of cage). The 3/16" x 1/2" rollers were used by firms like Alpha Bearings in their reconditioned crankshafts (these rollers are the same as used in the Dragonfly cranks) (but in a different dia cage). If you look at your con-rods, you will probably find that they have thin liners pressed into the big-end eyes - this is the weak point with the reconditioned cranks - the machining of the con-rods (to accept the liners) is often poorly done, allowing the liners to flex under load, and start cracking. Attached is a photo to illustrate the poor machining of the con-rods - being machined, rather than ground, the bores were also barrel shaped.

Hope this is of some help,
                                             Regards,
                                                            Eddie.
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2022 at 08:01 by eddie »

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #2 on: 04 Jun 2022 at 05:00 »
Hi Michael,

I've looked in the bearing box, and I have some 3/16 x 7/8, but unfortunately only 16 in total. I've bought loose rollers from Vintage Bearings in the UK before: https://www.vintagebearings.co.uk/

Nice grinding Eddie - it's good to get the finish you're looking for. I'm not equipped, or qualified, but I once did some hardened FN fork links using the Dremel on the tool post of the lathe. Not exactly big-end quality, but it was satisfying none-the-less.

Leon

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jun 2022 at 04:58 »
Eddie,

thanks for the interesting informations about the roller variants.
I had in the past refurbished a MK1 crank (with 3/16 x 1/2 rollers) and 90+ crank (with 1/4 x 1/4 rollers); also dismantled stationary cranks (all in bad condition, with 1/4 x 1/4 rollers). I wonder about the different rollers, now I know the reason.
On my 80+ crank the surface of crankpin and conrod are okay, so it will be easy to change only the rollers - and save a lot of money?

I believe to change to INA needle bearings it is also necessary to make speciial crank pins with bigger dia for the needles?

Leon,

thanks for the link to vintagebearing.

Michael

motorcycle