Author Topic: TS Fork Spindles  (Read 420 times)

Offline Marcus

TS Fork Spindles
« on: 30 May 2022 at 02:58 »
Hi Everyone,

My 1925 TS project has the frame along with the steering head fittings and fork blades but there were no fork links or spindles. I have made the fork links and tubes but I now need to machine up some spindles. I have done some drawings which have the dimensions from first principles by measuring all the pieces I have and working out what I think is correct.

I have attached the 4 drawings of the spindles and would be very grateful if someone who has some original spindles wouldn't mind checking and let me know where there are errors. Once we have sorted them all out I can leave the drawings up on the website to help anyone in future who needs to make some.

Many Thanks
Marcus

« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2022 at 04:08 by Marcus »

Offline Marcus

Re: TS Fork Spindles
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2022 at 04:12 »
Thanks to Rob in Melbourne who has a set of original TS spindles, I have now updated the drawings with the correct measurements. I have removed the original drawings and attached the corrected ones.

There is still one to come (Part No. 1554D) as Rob needs to dismantle it to measure. I will add that once we have completed it.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks again to Rob and Ian (Hutch) who has now provided the grease dimensions the drawings are finished and the updated ones are now attached, I hope these will be useful in future to others, I can now get on and turn up a set for my project.

« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2022 at 21:04 by Marcus »

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2022 at 03:27 »
Marcus,

I dismantled my CW front forks the other day but had not had a chance to measure the spindles for you. I finally managed to have a look and concur with Rob's measurements (some are slightly different but I don't think that will matter).

Just a couple of additional measurements for you;

a) The square hole in the end of 3 of the spindles is 9/32" and I guess could be reproduced by rotary broaching if required? The depth is approx. 7/16"
b) the axial grease hole is 3/16" diameter.
c) the small radial hole for the grease to come out of near the centre of the spindles is 3/32"
d) The length depth of the 3/16" grease hole is approximately 2 3/4" from the end of the spindle (9/16" threaded end) for D1553 and D1554
(note the 3/32" grease hole is not in the middle of the central reduced diameter section) but towards the 9/16" threaded end
e) The length depth of the 3/16" grease hole is approximately 3 1/4" from the end of the spindle (9/16" threaded end) for D1555, Bottom Front
((note the 3/32" grease hole is not in the middle of the central reduced diameter section) but towards the 9/16" threaded end

Hope this makes sense! :-)

Cheers

Ian
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2022 at 06:34 by Hutch »

Offline Marcus

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2022 at 21:05 »
Thanks again to Rob and Ian (Hutch) who has now provided the grease dimensions, the drawings are finished and the updated ones are now attached, I hope these will be useful in future to others, I can now get on and turn up a set for my project.

Marcus

motorcycle