Author Topic: Mk Gearbox shims  (Read 762 times)

Offline NeilR

Mk Gearbox shims
« on: 19 Apr 2022 at 15:25 »
Hi,

Unfortunately the LDMCC spares don't have any of the shims that fit between the gearcase and final drive housing. Can I ask if anyone knows what material are they made with - or is there something better? This joint has always leaked a bit - any recommendations to stop that?  Cheers,  Neil

Offline tck

• old racer
Re: Mk Gearbox shims
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2022 at 13:53 »
My shims were brass shim as befits 1948

Offline Clive

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2022 at 22:11 »
Hi Neil
I fitted a sealed bearing the last time the G/Box was striped, dont be perswaded to remove the inner seal  these bearings are lubed for life  ,new shims where made from standard brass shin stock i am sure you can still buy this stuff from a motor factors sometimes sold in a tin with differant thicknesses rolled up in  the container ,assemble with standard sealant
hope this helps
Clive

Offline NeilR

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2022 at 09:15 »
Thanks Chaps, as luck would have it I had a quick look on fleabay and someone had 9 up for sale so got them and they are various thicknesses and used, but quite reasonable. Four came off so I think I will have enough to complete the job (to fit an extra washer to the kickstart ratchet shaft in the hope it fixes the poor engagement issue - it's quite a sod of a job).