Author Topic: Shock absorber cover 1951 MKV  (Read 946 times)

Offline Pallijen15

Shock absorber cover 1951 MKV
« on: 28 Nov 2021 at 14:06 »
Hi, the shock absorber cover on my MkV will not fit flush up to the final drive housing of my gearbox. One of the six nuts, this one being  the top foremost next to the longer stud that holds the shock absorber cover on, stops the shock absorber cover from butting up against the final drive housing, so the final drive sprocket and spring will be open to the elements. There are two apertures on the cover for the middle and lower stud nuts which have been crudely made to be able to bridge over them. Have I the correct cover? Or maybe the nuts which fit on the studs are too large of external diameter. Please advise, all appreciated. Thanks, Paul J

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
Re: Shock absorber cover 1951 MKV
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2021 at 05:47 »
Hi Paul,

there is a different cover for the MK1 model. A photo would help to identify your cover.

Michael

Offline Pallijen15

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2021 at 11:09 »
Hi Michael, thanks for reply. Photos attached.  I have ringed where parts of the cover have been cut out to clear the middle and  lower stud nuts of the final drive housing, although a spacer was fitted on the bottom cover securing stud because the top of the cover was still contacting the foremost top final drive housing stud nut as this one had not been cut away. I have removed the two studs which secure the cover as these were incorrect anyway, one was just a threaded rod and they were not in straight so the cover would not pass over the studs. These two studs do not go into a blind hole but through and into the gearbox. I hope you can follow this. Paul J

Images converted to linked files - Dave, 01Dec2021
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2021 at 17:10 by Dave »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2021 at 12:20 »
Paul,
         The later (Mk4&5) shock absorber cover had 3 cutaways to clear the front 3 final drive mounting studs and nuts. It is also interesting to note that there is no mention in the spares book of these studs having washers under the nuts. Added to this, the depth of the cutaways may need to be altered depending on the number of adjustment shims required between the gearbox case and the final drive housing. These shock absorber covers are quite prone to damage from broken chains, etc., so it is quite possible that yours may be a repro casting supplied at some time by the LDMCC spares scheme. With all this in mind, the cutaways may need easing so that the cover fits snugly to the face of the final drive housing. The shock absorber cover is not intended to keep all the weather off the final drive - it is there to prevent trousers, fingers, etc. from being caught in the chain, and also to prevent the chain from throwing oil/grease onto anything in it's line.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline Pallijen15

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2021 at 15:29 »
Thanks Eddie, all fits on snugly now after attacking it with the file. Incidentally, the cover is made of about 1/8" thick alloy, the cut aways on it were hand made and not deep enough and the holding studs had been replaced, so I suppose it  probably was a repro one. Thanks for help, much appreciated as always. Paul J