Author Topic: Frame date ?  (Read 943 times)

Offline Marcus

Frame date ?
« on: 28 Sep 2021 at 20:14 »
Hi,
I'm new to the forum but will be grateful for any assistance.
I have recently purchased the frame in the photo below, I haven't yet got it as we are in lock-down but hope to collect it in the next few weeks. I think its a 2 3/4 HP model, and as its missing the angle tube to brace the headstock believe according to my research on the forum it must be later than 1916 when apparently this change started to come in, and could be until the end of production in 1926. I have marked where I believe I will be able to find the frame number however if anyone in the meantime is able to give me their view on the date of the frame that would be useful.

I know there are 2 of the 2 3/4 HP model in museums, 1 in Auckland at MOTAT and one in Invercargill at Motorcycle Mecca, however if there are any members in Auckland with one that would let me view and take measurements and photos that would be helpful.

Thanks
Marcus

Offline LENBOY

Re: Frame date ?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2021 at 15:46 »
Hi Marcus
Your frame appears to have the front saddle spring mounting bracket which is parallel on the top frame tube. This would make it 1923 or 1924, the serials should be from 57000 to 76000 give or take a few. I hope this helps. Len.

Offline Marcus

Re: Frame date ?
« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2021 at 22:45 »
Hi Len,

Thank you very much, yes that makes sense, I was hoping someone who knows these well would spot something. Having had a look at bikes on the Internet this is feature of those 2 years, which I hadn't picked up on.

Cheers

Marcus