Author Topic: Oil ball valve question 1934 Z1  (Read 412 times)

Offline Ian Hand

Oil ball valve question 1934 Z1
« on: 20 Sep 2021 at 08:21 »
Information please.   Can anyone shed some light on this little dilemma. I have dismantled the engine on my Z1 750 and found a small ball valve on the drive side crank case casting, at the top/rear. It is covered by a wire gauze strainer about 5/8" dia . I have attached a photograph of the brass outer with the seat, the ball and the retaining clip.   My question is .......IS THERE A SPRING MISSING to hold the ball onto the seat.  The photo shows the valve assembly sits in a hole angled down at about 45 degrees..... It fits in so that the ball falls away from the seat unless there is a spring present, Any help would be appreciated.

Image rotated, cropped, converted to linked file - Dave, 21Sep2021
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2021 at 22:24 by Dave »

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
Re: Oil ball valve question 1934 Z1
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2021 at 09:16 »
Hi Ian there is a light spring on the EW 600s Ta Daren
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline Ian Hand

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2021 at 22:39 »
Thanks Daren, It will be a while before I re assemble the engine. I suspect the spring may be somewhere in the collection  of nuts, bolt and washers at the bottom of the degreasing/cleaning tub.  I will run a strong magnet through the tub abd see what comes out. Thanks for the help.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2021 at 09:48 »
Ian,
        Remember when rebuilding the engine that the crankcase through bolts clamping the crankcase halves and the primary chaincase should be tightened before the timing cover is fitted - otherwise the timing cover takes the full clamping force, and usually cracks. Also, it is likely that the cam follower mounting blocks will be loose on the studs, and liable to move.

Regards,
                  Eddie.

Offline Ian Hand

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2021 at 10:50 »
Thanks for the reminder Eddie, I have taken many photographs and made notes and it was apparent that the 4 long bolts serve 2 purposes.  Not sure what torque I should tighten them up to, but I will work that out later.  The cam follower bolts were quite tight and the tab washers look like they were factory fitted. I don't think this motor has been apart since it left the factory.  The way my test rig works I will need to run the engine with the flywheel and clutch fitted but without the primary chaincase.....So I will get to inspect the performance of the little breather. Thanks again for the reminder, I will add it to my notes in RED.

motorcycle