Author Topic: Ew350 new clutch plates  (Read 345 times)

Offline Neilj

Ew350 new clutch plates
« on: 14 Sep 2021 at 20:04 »
Seems the new clutch lining fitted is to wide,see photo,s any idea on a fix method?

Image converted to linked file - Dave, 19Sep2021
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2021 at 22:47 by Dave »

Offline EW-Ron

Re: Ew350 new clutch plates
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2021 at 23:19 »
May we enquire how or where or why that is a problem ?

The shop ?  that did it has done them before ?

Offline Neilj

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2021 at 05:10 »
When i screw the rear plate down the curved inner edge jams the edge of the fibre plate.The clutch came in the many boxes that i bought which was supposed to be a complete EW350 so no idea when or where it was relined.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2021 at 07:19 »
The surfaces of the back plate and the flywheel should be flat, so the slight difference in dia/width of the lining shouldn't affect the operation of the clutch. It is more likely to be the overall thickness of the friction plate preventing the clutch from freeing due to restricted lift. You could try fitting a thin washer on each of the 6 screws (between the back plate and flywheel) to see if that improves matters - if it does, the re-lined plate is too thick. Any change in plate thickness will also affect the adjustment of the operating arm, so a bit of trial and error may be needed to get full lift on the clutch release.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2021 at 00:49 »
Hi Neil,

Yes it looks like the new linings are too wide on the inside and are fouling the lip on the inside of the "outer" clutch plate (as Douglas calls it in the 2 3/4hp parts book).

The earlier CW ones had a flat plate with the lining rivetted to it and a plain main plate. EW had the friction material on the main plate and also a "reinforcing" lip on the inside of the outer plate.

As the material of the lining is unknown and may contain hazardous material i.e. asbestos and I have no experience in modifying clutch linings (I have some small experience a long time ago with asbestos brake linings),  then I cannot suggest a definitive remedial action.  Some other forum members with experience in clutch linings maybe able to suggest how you might go about it. (Maybe mounting the main clutch plate in a lathe with a knife-like tool to cut away the offending material and using suitable dust control / suppression / mask wearing to be on the safe side??)

cheers

Hutch

Image converted to linked file - Dave, 19Sep2021
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2021 at 22:41 by Dave »

motorcycle