Author Topic: CW Forks  (Read 1001 times)

Online Rob

CW Forks
« on: 27 Aug 2021 at 00:33 »
I need to get my CW forks straightened. They have been knocked and straightened a few times before so it is hard to determine which bend is the right one.

Does anyone have the correct dimensions for the forks. Of particular interest is the final width of the forks at the axle and the location of the bend required just below the bottom linkage. I measure what looks to be the correct original bend is approximately 3 1/2 Inches below the bottom linkage.

Thanks

Rob

Offline Alan

Re: CW Forks
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2021 at 04:04 »
Hopefully the pic shows the location of the bend...the width at the axle on my front wheel is a bit smaller than that required to drop the wheel/ axle straight in and takes a small amount of outward leverage/ springing by hand to get the wheel in position.

Images converted to links and aspect ratio corrected - Dave,  30Aug2021
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2021 at 21:00 by Dave »

Offline franky

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2021 at 06:01 »
I had the similar alignment issues when I put mine together many years ago and my forks are fractionally offset. When originally fixing the problem it was particularly fiddly getting it close to centre with the multiple times assemble then breakdown to achieve this result. As per the pic the metre ruler runs up the leg from the axle and meets the small rule which measures 29mm out from the fork top flat. This is the drive side. The brake side is 31mm hence the offset. Measuring this using the metre rule and small rule at 90 degrees does throw different results as the smallest nudge or error on the round leg produces an incorrect answer. The above published data was gathered from a number of measure and double check procedures. Back in the late seventies I visited Kevin Cass who had a CW in his motorcycle dealership in Ununderra at the time and photographed it extensively and ran a rule over the forks to assist me back home.

Image converted to linked file - Dave, 12Sep2021
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2021 at 22:36 by Dave »

Online Rob

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2021 at 03:10 »
Thanks Alan and Franky,

This helps a lot. I now know that I have a corroded but nearly straight fork amongst my spares from which I can copy from. I measured 31 mm using Franky's method for the non-brake side so it is close. 

Rob