Author Topic: EW Gearbox Parts  (Read 1848 times)

Offline A31ndrew

EW Gearbox Parts
« on: 23 Aug 2021 at 20:34 »
This is an incomplete gearbox from a 1926 model EW - stamped RG9827. It comprises the parts shown in the pictures; the gears and shafts are in excellent condition with little wear, apart from the layshaft drive (constant mesh) small gear which is stripped - see picture. Case and covers are good with good threads, some corrosion damage to cover and case around output shaft. More detailed pictures available on request.

Offline veikko1

Re: EW Gearbox Parts
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2021 at 20:00 »
Hello A31ndrew

Would you know, that this are useful to B29 box?

Regards veikko1

Offline A31ndrew

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2021 at 10:53 »
Hi Veikko, thanks for getting in touch. Looking through the Douglas Club's machine register, EW and B29 models both used an RG and an RG/C gearbox - so this gearbox may fit your bike, but I cannot be sure. I bought it for my A31 but the mountings are different, although internally it looks similar.
Hope this helps, Andrew

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2021 at 22:47 »
Hi this gearbox is 1926 EW with the early platform mount and the detent in the lever not on the shaft Ta Daren
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline veikko1

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2021 at 17:51 »
Hello Andrew

Thanks your answer. I am interesting, if internals are same, than B 29 model.

Regards Veikko

Offline A31ndrew

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2021 at 22:12 »
Hi Veikko, I cannot be certain if the gearbox internals of the EW and B29 are the same, although they appear to use the same model code. If you have a B29 gearbox, perhaps you can compare it with the pictures above? Alternatively, perhaps another member of the forum can advise? I can take more detailed pictures, if you let me know what views you need.
Regards, Andrew

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2021 at 04:20 »
If I am not mistaken reprints of the 1929 spares list for the 350cc models have been done in the past as have certainly the 350EW. You can compare the component part numbers, and if they are the same those parts would have been used in both models. If you see a part number xxxx but in the later list it is xxxx-1 or xxxx-2 that means it were through some revision but Douglas considered it still the same part and was interchangeable. The suffix is a revision number. If the part change enough that it was not backwards compatible, Douglas would assign it a new part number.

-Doug

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2021 at 09:53 »
Hi early EW gearboxes had the detent on the selector from about  27 on the detent was on the shaft see photo, you need to compare photo and the inside of your box Veikko if you have the detent holes in your shaft it will probably fall out of gear Ta Daren
too many dougli not enough time!