Author Topic: Waffle box and centre stand  (Read 1508 times)

Offline hoejmark

Waffle box and centre stand
« on: 30 Jul 2021 at 09:39 »
Hi all
I am near to have finished rebuilding a MKV and runs into a problem. The bike came with a waffle box silencer and a narrow centre stand, and the problem is that there is too little space between them so that the waffle box can't get into place.
Is it so, that a waffle box only can be used with a wide centre stand or do i have another problem?
It looks to me that the centre stand is a little too forward.
Any help is appreciated.

Regards
Hoejmark

Image orientation corrected and converted to linked file - Dave, 30Jul2021
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2021 at 19:45 by Dave »

Offline DJS

Re: Waffle box and centre stand
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2021 at 15:53 »
Yes, if you wish to fit the waffle box you will need a wide centre stand.
The LDMCC recently had both wide and narrow stands cast but these sold out quite quickly.
A further supply has now been ordered and if you are a club member you can reserve one via the contact details in the New Conrod for post war spares.

All the best,

David

Offline hoejmark

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2021 at 16:52 »
Thanks for your reply David.
hoejmark

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2021 at 17:36 »
Hoejmark,
                From the photo you posted, it looks as if you are suffering from the common Douglas fault in that the frame cross tube has been 'wrung' by operating the kickstart while the bike is on the stand. When we were involved with the Club's spares scheme, we supplied a stud and 2 nuts as an alternative to the normal bolt and nut, because the standard bolt often wont clear the frame tubes. Changing to the wide stand wont improve matters as all 3 versions of the stand (wide, medium and narrow)have the same top portion.

Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline dalgrae

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2021 at 10:14 »
Hi so was the medium item just for a bit more stability ,I only thought there were 2 versions.

Colin

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2021 at 10:32 »
Hi Colin,
             I have only seen a couple of the medium width stands (one of which is on my ISDT machine). I guess Douglas might have made the medium width stand for the sports machines with high level exhausts - that would give a compromise of more stability without too much risk of grounding on bends or rough terrain.

Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline dalgrae

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2021 at 12:37 »
Hi thank you

Colin

Offline hoejmark

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2021 at 14:40 »
Eddie

I think You have the point. I already have the stud with two nuts, and this stud itself is difficult to guide below the frame tube and through all holes.
Now I think that I am too far in the project to wring back the cross tube. Perhaps i will machine away some material in the top end.

Regarding the exhaust pipes then. I had these from Armours years ago, and they are excellent, but abt. 2 inch too long in the waffle box end. I have to cut them to length, and then I can blank off the ends and make slots. Are these slots to be made on both sides of the exhaust pipes?

Regards
hoejmark

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2021 at 15:07 »
Hoejmark,
                The original pipes for the woffle box had the ends blanked (some blanks had a 6mm hole) and slots down the inner side of the pipe. If you have an original woffle box, it should also have a tubular baffle through the centre of the box. This baffle was a steel tube (like the exhaust pipe, but with slots down both sides). Most owners don't even realise there should be a baffle as they have usually completely rusted away! The centre baffle was retained by the screwed brass plug in the front face of the woffle box.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline hoejmark

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2021 at 17:06 »
Thanks Eddie

My pipes have the rigth bends to suit for going into the waffle box and also have proper mountings for bolting on to the lower frame tubes. the waffle box has no tubular baffle in the centre, but it may have been there. There is a double wall in the far end of the waffle box.
Regards
hoejmark

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2021 at 17:57 »
Yes, each pipe exits into it's own chamber at the front of the woffle box, then the gases mix as they pass through the centre baffle to the rear chamber, the gases from both cylinders then exit via both slots at the rear of the box.

Eddie.

Offline hoejmark

« Reply #11 on: 01 Aug 2021 at 07:16 »
Eddie

Is the centre baffle essential or will the waffle box do without?

hoejmark