Author Topic: Miller points  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Biggles1957

Miller points
« on: 24 Jun 2021 at 06:53 »
Does anyone have an old set of Miller ignition points for a Dragonfly please?  Doesn't matter at all if they're worn out - I want to use them as a pattern for a modification I'm thinking about....

Many thanks

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Miller points
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2021 at 09:56 »
About 15 years ago, I also experimented with alternatives for Miller points. I came up with a conversion unit that used Lucas points from British unit construction machines (Triumph, Norton BSA, etc). The unit consisted of a new base plate for the distributor, and a small adaptor plate cut from 18g steel. The moving Lucas point just needed the spring blade cut shorter, and a new hole/slot cut in the end. The fixed point was cut down to leave just the pivot and the actual point connected. This was then attached to the adaptor plate with two 1/16" rivets.
   The attached photos show - 1. - the complete assembly, and 2. the component parts.  The second photo shows (clockwise from top left - the adaptor plate, the adaptor plate complete with the new point rivetted on,  the moving point,  and the new base plate.     
    Several Club members tried them, and I've had no adverse comments!

Regards,
                  Eddie.

P.S.  When making the base plate, the points pivot has to be positioned so that the points are just opening as the rotor arm passes the HT pickup.

« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2021 at 20:29 by Dave »

Offline Biggles1957

Re: Miller points
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2021 at 14:15 »
Thanks for this Eddie.  Did you make them for sale or just for yourself? Regards, Bob