Author Topic: Dragonfly front brake  (Read 335 times)

Offline mikkings2

Dragonfly front brake
« on: 27 May 2021 at 18:33 »
All,
         Out and about today for first run on new to me 57 Dragonfly, runs well, handles well, front brake v.v.poor, does anyone  have modifications to improve the British Hub brake? Will be pulling apart to inspect.
Thanks Mike

Offline EW-Ron

Re: Dragonfly front brake
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2021 at 23:13 »
I don't know about for Duggies, but for some other makes the suppliers are selling "high friction linings".
Sometimes as "MZ Gold" linings. These are a bonded cross-hatched looking orange looking material.
And are supposed to be quite soft - as linings go.
They do seem to have more bite, but I've not yet had the chance to try them at highway speeds.

I don't know how they compare to what linings of old were supplied as though.
Worth looking into ?

Just checking that your drums are round and the shoes have 100% contact with them is a good start.
Chalk on the linings can show you where they make contact, or not.
Watch that initially this may have even less braking than usual...

Offline mikkings2

Re: Dragonfly front brake
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2021 at 10:57 »
Thanks,
              Pulling it out tomorrow to check the linings and drum, doesn't feel out of round but will clock to make sure. Otherwise will look at alternate linings as you suggest ,  I believe 3/16" is standard thickness? If I get new linings then will get oversize and turn round on the lathe, worked well on my Venom along with swapping the brake lever to reduce the distance between the pivot and nipple to give more leverage, anyone tried this on a Fly??
Regards
Mike