Author Topic: Mk front forks  (Read 1275 times)

Offline dalgrae

Mk front forks
« on: 04 May 2021 at 16:07 »
Hi can someone please explain the difference between mk1, 2 ,3 front forks and mk 4, 5 front forks

Regards. Colin

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Mk front forks
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2021 at 17:08 »
Hi Colin,
              Mk1 - 3 forks have only one lug for the brake reaction link (on LH leg) and plate lugs for mounting the fixed mudguard. Also the headlamp brackets are spaced for a 6" headlamp. Very early forks had a cup and cone lower steering head bearing (with 5/16" balls) and the top bearing was a thrust bearing with 2 identical deep tracks (numbered 2016).
    Mark 4 -5 forks had a taper roller lower steering head bearing and a cup and cone top bearing that incorporated a spigot to locate in the fork bridge plate. The headlamp brackets were spread to accommodate a 7" headlamp. Also they were devoid of the mudguard brackets, but had another reaction link lug on the RH leg to carry the redesigned mudguard stays. Internally, all the forks were the same, but during the Mark 5 production, heavier (parallel) fork springs were offered as an option. At the end of the Mark 3 production, the LH leading link lost it's slot that located the head on the front wheel spindle - along with a change of spindle design to a plain hex head.

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline dalgrae

« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2021 at 17:49 »
Hi Eddie thank you

Colin

Offline Vitesse

« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2021 at 20:42 »
Bloody hell Eddie, I hope you've written all this down somewhere!!!

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2021 at 07:25 »
I have - see previous posting!!!!

Eddie.

P.S. Sorry - couldn't resist that one!

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2021 at 14:47 »
It is my experience that not only has Eddie written it down at least 50% of your questions have already been answered when rebuilding my Mk I nearly wore out the search facility only occasionally did I have to ask on here and call another expert from his workshop :-0