Author Topic: Dragonfly suspension  (Read 1028 times)

Offline kncken

Dragonfly suspension
« on: 22 Mar 2021 at 14:26 »
Hello,all.Does anyone know the specifications for the Dragonfly suspension units,please,mainly,the centre-to-centre lengths and the poundage of the springs.My bike seems to have a very hard ride,even on the softest settings. Thanks! Ken .

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Dragonfly suspension
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2021 at 15:18 »
Hi Ken,
             The front units should be 13.9" centres, and the rear units 12.9" centres. The front springs were the lightest that Girling made at 54lb, and I'm almost certain that the rear springs were rated at 100lbs. (Of course, different free length springs were also available - I don't have the details to hand regarding the length of the original springs). The normal procedure for setting up the units is to adjust the springs so that the units settle about 1/2" with the rider sat on the bike.
    If you have fitted more modern units, you may have problems. Modern units have too much damping, and the original light front springs may not have the power to recover from one bump before the next bump is encountered, thus causing the units to 'pump' their way down, resulting in a harsh ride.

Regards,
                Eddie.
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2021 at 15:25 by eddie »

Offline kncken

Re: Dragonfly suspension
« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2021 at 19:31 »
Many thanks,Eddie,for the info. and the advice.I think this is the hardest front end suspension of any motorcycle I've ridden,and the rear is nearly as bad!The front units are early Girling,with the dismantlable damper,and these were re-conditioned in the1990s.The rears are,I think,later Girlings.The bike has only done 800 miles since fitting.They are all comply to the lengths you quoted.I was surprised Hagon had so little info,.and I may do some more Googling,but with the poundage you quoted as well,I have something to go by for the moment.Thanks again ,Eddie.