Author Topic: Tartan tank transfer - M32 tank finish  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Hamwic

Tartan tank transfer - M32 tank finish
« on: 16 Mar 2021 at 13:02 »
Hi All,

I am about to tackle the finishing of my M32 tank, and I have a pair of waterslide tartan transfers from the VMCC to fit. Does anyone have any hints or tips about fitting these perhaps unwieldy items?

Apropos the tank finish in general, did this model have a blue panel with (or without) a white outline on the top face? There's not much to be found on t'internet about this particular machine, and the K32 shots don't seem to quite make it to the tank top to show its shape - if indeed there is a blue panel at all.

Many thanks
Doug

Offline TonyC

Re: Tartan tank transfer - M32 tank finish
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2021 at 19:31 »
Hi Doug,
I have sent photos to be attached to this post from the 1932 catalogue.
Hope it will be of help

Tony

[Photos added. 16Mar21, Doug, Admin]
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2021 at 19:55 by Doug »

Offline EW-Ron

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2021 at 21:23 »
and the K32 shots don't seem to quite make it to the tank top to show its shape - if indeed there is a blue panel at all.

True to form, nor does this shot.
But from a very skimpy view it would seem the top is without any blue panel (?), on this model anyway.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2021 at 21:45 »
Models such as the B31 had a top panel, so I would think there was a good chance it carried over to 1932 to be used on a more expensive model like the K/M32. For the B31 it was a 3/32 inch wide white line, 1/8 inch blue space, a very thin white line (unspecified width on the factory drawing), and then the inner field of blue.

-Doug
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2021 at 02:18 by Doug »

Offline Dads bike

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2021 at 23:31 »
?? 

Offline EW-Ron

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2021 at 02:25 »
That puts a different complexion on it, doesn't it. !
(It also makes sense, since it  limits reflections off the tank top.)

In hindsight, there may be a very slim view of a glimmer of blue on the (random) pic I posted.
Odd that even basic knowledge of such things can be so tricky to find.
They obviously weren't considering future restorers ...

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2021 at 07:07 »
Hi I Found these in my pre ww2 Douglas pic file !
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline Hamwic

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2021 at 07:21 »
Thanks to everyone for their input and pictures. That'll keep me amused a while - lots to consider!

Thanks once again,
Doug

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2021 at 12:32 »
I am finishing my tank with 2 pack varnish and then when sealed  applying transfers I have been told do not flatten surface that the transfer is to be applied to.
The 2 pack will have 'gone off' by the time the transfer is dry so I will use a petrol resistant lacquer with a brush to seal.
I recently had a Velocette tank done a great job but thepaint was continued up to the filler cap and in a week the so called petrol had crept under the petrol proof top coat and bubbled all around the cap

Offline Hamwic

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2021 at 13:48 »
That's a shame TCK! Note to self to leave a break between the cap face and the finish coat.

Are you using a rattle can that is a real 2K? There seem to be a number of faux 2K's in cans that are actually single part i.e. 1K. I have used the Simoniz stuff with some success, but doubt it would handle a major fuel spill without problems.

The only Douglas script transfers available at the moment are seemingly vinyl. Maybe it's a Lockdown thing? Apparently there can be a reaction between the adhesive backing and lacquers with some vinyl transfers, as some use a water based adhesive, and others are spirit based. A light dust coat allowed to flash off is recommended  - preferably best tried on a sample first I would think. So something else to be wary of and such a shame to perhaps ruin something so late in the process.

I have a Velo tank that was painted in Valspar that has survived pretty much unscathed since the 1970's despite being doused in various fuels over the years. Progress - what progress?

Cheers for now
Doug

Offline Hamwic

« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2021 at 09:33 »
Further to the above, I have found this shot which actually shows enough to be a guide. Top panel goes around the caps, and what looks like a crescent at the saddle end. Possibly a single white line border.

It's interesting to see that the handlebars actually go between the steering damper strap and the tank. As my caps are later types with wing clamps, I won't have enough room, and having tried it, it makes fitting the tank really difficult. Not being a 1930's 5ft jockey, I think I shall be fitting the bars over the top of the strap!

Cheers for now
Doug

Offline Hamwic

« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2021 at 12:20 »
Here is an auction photo of a K32, cropped down to the tank top. Something to aim for!

Cheers for now
Doug

Offline richard s1

« Reply #12 on: 25 Mar 2021 at 19:38 »
The T6 shown earlier, YG 2437, was my bike that I resurrected in the 1980's.  The tank top does have a blue panel.  I have a tracing of the original shape and also a note of the correct blue colour.  The transfers I used then were waterslide, and if my memory is right I think I had to cut the transfer across the tartan just once because of the slight double curvature. It still matched up good though. Looking at that picture I can't see the join !!    Later on this evening I'll look for my notes on the tank and post them.   The mudguards are not original though. When I got the bike the 'guards were missing, so I had to buy what was on offer then.
Richard

Offline richard s1

« Reply #13 on: 27 Mar 2021 at 09:51 »
This is a correct pattern of the tank top panel of the T6  YG 2437, taken from when I managed to remove the layer of thick paint that someone previously  applied .
The original colour was found under the knee rubbers. It was carefully cleaned then matched up by professional painters and they stated that the nearest match was   :-  Chrysler UK,  Commodore Blue,  Colour code 106.
Richard

Offline Hamwic

« Reply #14 on: 04 Apr 2021 at 18:32 »
Thanks for all your input.

I laid out the blue filler side panels by pin-pricking through the edges of the transfer paper backing  just outside the clear edge  on to a piece of stiff paper. I cut out a shape that would be bigger than the transfer by about half its width. The plan was that this would allow some wiggle room when the transfer was applied.

The blue was applied over the Hyundai Sleek Silver base coat(s).  When dry the masking tape had left an thick edge, but it needed two coats, so after a week or so, this ridge was masked both sides and cut back with 200 wet and dry. The idea was to prevent the ridge from showing through the transfer. Apparently pros use a credit card as a scraper for this operation.

Applying the transfer showed that I had set the side panels a little too far back and a little high, so that multiple curved surfaces were to be accommodated. A scalpel came to the rescue, with only minor discontinuities. Luckily I am not too OCD about the outcome, and coat of artist's spirit varnish has brightened things up a little. It also quietened the white edges of the vinyl Douglas decals.

I shall be painting the top blue panel white outline, and have sourced some very flexible 3M 3mm tape to do it, as the curves around the filler caps are quite tight.

Cheers for now
Doug

On with the motley!

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #15 on: 06 Apr 2021 at 11:26 »
Transfer update on my MK Douglas: I did spray with 2K rattle can clear and it was 'dry' in half an hour what i should have done was add the transfers and finish off with the 2K (NB  I was amazed to find it was still viable in the can a day later). however I waited a day or so and  without any surface preparation applied the transfers (water slide from the LDMCC) and next day they were adhering perfectly I then sprayed some 'petrol resistant lacquer in a pot and dipped a small art brush in and covered the transfers up and just over the edges of the transfer. They look good

motorcycle