Douglas - For Sale Items

Douglas 1913 Model P motorcycle

Douglas - Wanted Items

Douglas 1915 3 Spd-Gearbox and Clutch

Support & How to Join

Side Panel Notices

Quick Comments

Reminders, links to interesting topics, bump your own topic, quick comments or any short message of interest to members. Try it out!
Please note - 500 character current limit

Dave

Yesterday at 00:09:46
Welcome to the new site!

Recommended viewing for a fast start...
 - Quick Tour of the Front Page
 - Quick Tour of the new Attachments

More info in my post here.

Thread sizes

Started by Sgtbiro, 03 Jun 2021 at 17:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgtbiro

Hi all could someone please advise me to what are the thread sizes of the grease nipples on a Dragonfly they seems to be two different sizes.

Cheers Kevin...

EW-Ron

I don't know specifically about on Dragonflys, but I've met the 1/4 and 1/8 inch BSF types.

I don't know about obtaining the original types, which are about useless in my estimation,
but you can buy more modern types which a modern grease gun can latch onto, and apply PRESSURE.
I have heard that applying some cloth over the old type will avoid a mess and apply some pressure,
but have not tried it.

Be aware there are also 1/4" UNF type grease nipples, and I think a similar metric equivalent.
You can also obtain stainless marine varieties, which keeps them nice and shiny.
If such things are important.  But not in BSF sizes ... ?

There are also larger sizes. Much larger in industrial type stuff.
Hopethishelps.

Sgtbiro

Yer thanks Ron all reply's are appreciated.

Cheers Kevin

patrickwhitty

I have been round the Dragonfly changing most of it's grease nipples. The hubs are 1/4 inch UNF. M6x1 also fits. The front brake reaction link has an angled 1/4 inch at each end. The top of the steering is 5/16 but I have tried UNF and BSF and neither is a good fit. I fitted a UNF as far as it would go by hand and put some grease in but then put the original nipple on again. The clutch looks like 5/16 but it is so inaccessible I haven't replaced it, yet. The speedometer drive is much smaller, 1/8 inch I expect. I don't have nipples any that size so I haven't been able to try. Have I missed any?

Sgtbiro

Thanks Patrick thats great, no i dont think you have missed any.
Much appreciated.

Kevin...