Author Topic: Douglas stuff?  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Bob M

Douglas stuff?
« on: 26 Oct 2020 at 06:29 »
A few days ago a friend dropped off a big box of what he thought was Villiers stuff. It included the bits and bobs seen in the two photos attached.
The first photo shows two of these mystery items. One of the parts shown has an attachment collar so it fits a carburettor. I think it is a Douglas hot air intake. I suspect the other strange manifoldy looking thing may be Douglas also.
The carburettor top and slides shown in the other photo are Binks. The lever is a French Le Simplex. I have no idea whether they have Douglas relevance or not. I'm just assuming they may be because they all arrived together.
Can anyone identify any of it as Douglas? Does anyone want it?
I'm in Oz, in Melbourne.
Bob

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
Re: Douglas stuff?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2020 at 08:32 »
Hi Bob,

Re the top bit with the bronze welding: I reckon not Douglas, but instead something incorporating the two ends of a 1910-14 FN single-cylinder inlet manifold. The pressed "nipple" on the engine end of the pipe was matched by a similar one of the exhaust pipe, and a bridge - with a recess for each nipple - tightened by a central bolt clamped both pipes to the ports. The screw-in fitting at the other end was 1910-14 only (and maybe 1919 - not sure). I have an original manifold on the 1910 FN single, so don't need another. But happy to give it a home if it is lost.

Enjoy Wednesday - imagine visiting a shop after all this time! Before you know it we'll be able to cross the border and visit!

Cheers

Leon

Offline Bob M

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2020 at 09:55 »
Hi Leon,
I shall carefully tie a label on it marked “Leon’s “ and eventually it will make it across the border! Not sure I  remember what you do when you enter a pub. Am going to practice on Wednesday.
Bob

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2020 at 14:37 »
Bob,

The lower of the two tubes in the first image is indeed a hot air riser pipe for a Dougie. The knurled ring screws on to a B&B carburetor. Could be for the likes of a 350EW, A31, or one of the Aero models. I am inclined to think more towards the EW era due to the asymmetrical flair of the mouth, as I think the Aero era have an even flair.

-Doug
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2020 at 14:44 by Doug »

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2020 at 18:23 »
lower of two pipes is from a 350 EW  1925-26?I know because I lost the one on my wife one and made one out of a tiger cub exhaust pipe

Offline lindsay@melb

« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2020 at 22:01 »
Leon, I will remember where the FN part is and come begging if I can find an original carby! Regards

Offline Bob M

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2020 at 00:25 »
Hi Lindsay and Leon,
If you two come to some agreement I'm quite happy either way, just as long as it is seen to leave here by SWMBO. She is having one of those 'wouldn't it be marvellous to downsize' episodes. Hopefully it will be over soon.

Cheers, Bob

Offline lindsay@melb

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2020 at 03:27 »
I am happy with Leon being the parts new custodian.  Lindsay