Author Topic: 1935/1936 Douglas Endeavour update  (Read 177 times)

Offline Dads bike

1935/1936 Douglas Endeavour update
« on: 07 Oct 2020 at 17:33 »
This came into my possession in 2006.
It wasn’t quite as good as it looked! In the pictures in the previous post.
I did run it for a couple of years, only short runs but it worked reasonably well.
This is one of the last produced units and in 1936 pride and Clark were advertising the Endeavour for sale with the foot shields available at extra cost. This unit has no foot shields.
Looking at its history it has had many Adjustments over the years and was included in an article in the Classic Motorcycle of December January 1982. Where it was stated that the machine was part of a collection owned by Ken Harris with Eddy Withers who had been involved in the production of the Endeavour undertaking its renovation. This may well account for many of the upgrades that have been applied to this machine.
Modern lip type oil seals throughout, ferodo type clutch plate fitted, two brush generator with a post war regulator. Two position lighting switch with no half charge facility. The lube oil return gallery’s have all been opened out to give a bigger return feed to the pump, but it still over oils.
Interestingly the Pride and Clark sales sheet of 1936 includes a report on performance of the Endeavour (not this one) during a continental tour of Belgium, France and Germany 2138 miles during 1935. My machine was found to be set up identically as the machine in the report. Ie 100 main jet rather than the 75 as standard and oil as lubricating medium in the final drive, and gives very similar MPG figures of  approx 70 to the gallon.
I have now completed a cosmetic renovation of the machine as in the pics, I was unable to complete the mechanical work that I would have liked to have done due to the LDMCC spares dept being closed. So it still smokes!!! Remade and Replaced the Cush drive, piston rings, wheel bearings , control cables etc.
Not been to far on it, stuck to no more than about 70/80 miles per run a lovely smooth machine I have kept it basically as found.

Steve

Larger view

Larger view

Larger view

Larger view

« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2020 at 04:03 by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Re: 1935/1936 Douglas Endeavour update
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2020 at 04:03 »
Additional photos and some larger views added.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2020 at 04:11 by Dave »