Author Topic: T35 magnito  (Read 3120 times)

Offline flea

T35 magnito
« on: 04 Sep 2020 at 23:01 »
 a lot of bike companys used a lot of the same parts on different bikes so was wondering what other bike magnitos are interchangeable with the 1947-49 T35 both internal and body wise as t35 magnitos are in short supply around here

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: T35 magnito
« Reply #1 on: 05 Sep 2020 at 07:14 »
The MN2 magdyno was also used on some Royal Enfield twins, and I believe, the prewar Triumph Speed Twin - but they didn't have the slot machined down the side to clear the long clamp stud.

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #2 on: 05 Sep 2020 at 07:50 »
The direction of rotation is a factor when sourcing a second hand Mag
With my build I am tempted to go 12v Alton alternator (Dynamo shape) and a Thorspark on the Mag body running coil ignition

Offline flea

« Reply #3 on: 05 Sep 2020 at 21:00 »
bloke in aust has a lucas n2 for sale as says the base is different (BUT FOR A DOUGLAS TS MOTOR .. IS THAT THE SAME FOR THE t35 ) so that ones out , damm thought would be a lot more common among different types of bikes ... tck is that still using a original body with your different internals ?
« Last Edit: 05 Sep 2020 at 21:25 by flea »

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #4 on: 06 Sep 2020 at 08:09 »
As far as the Mag alterations its just fit  in place of the points but you need coils and a good dynamo its no good swapping a poor mag for a dodgy old dynamo   which is why i am going to get an Alton I know they work whichever way they revolve I am just inquiring at the moment which Alton is correct for a MN2.
I have two bikes with altons
For me Its a question of spending on a old mag rebuild or a new Alton I think coil ignition is better for starting easier to check and maintain
http://www.sussexmotorcycles.com/thorspark.html  dont forget to tell them your mag rotates different direction than most mags

The other expensive option is https://www.bt-h.biz/  I have two of those on my Vincents but I have not inquired about rotation in the magdyno model but I guess it can since the Vincent rotates in the same (unusual) direction as the Douglas.

Offline flea

« Reply #5 on: 06 Sep 2020 at 18:15 »
wow the alton maybe good but $$$ especially when you add on the conversion rate to the aust dollar the sussex one maybe the way to go for me but as you said by the time add in the coils etc its starts getting exie ..dont have any of the electrics for the project t35 .. thanks for the links ... have passed them on to a bloke in india on another forum as he was looking for info on electronic ign as well .. now will have to do some thinking and maybe a bit of scrounging .. luckily as its a project bike not a big rush

Offline flea

« Reply #6 on: 06 Sep 2020 at 18:31 »
thanks eddie will look into the enfield one as might be able to machine it and adapt it to fit , more chance of finding one around here than the speed twin .. even if only to have a look at one ... acually i know a bloke who has a enfield 500 twin whos not far from here

Offline EW-Ron

« Reply #7 on: 07 Sep 2020 at 22:45 »
will look into the enfield one as might be able to machine it and adapt it to fit ,

I had a single cylinder magdyno body converted to fit/suit a JAP v-twin.
The blanks in the casting are all there, 'all' he had to do was drill it out in the appropriate places and fit the bits that make it for a twin.
Don't know about that slot in the casting though, that sounds like a Douglas special if ever there was one !

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #8 on: 08 Sep 2020 at 07:56 »
looking at my mag (Its off at the moment) it looks like a simple one pass with an end cutter. only question is did they beef up the mag body casting for the mod? having seen other mods by the prince of Darkness Lucas I doubt it.
I can give you some dimensions if you need them

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #9 on: 08 Sep 2020 at 10:07 »
Alton say the  ACG05 alternator in dynamo form  is the one they fit to most mag dynamo British bikes (mostly singles) so that's the one I shall go for

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: 08 Sep 2020 at 11:12 »
Beware! The Lucas mag-dyno has a built-in safety device in the form of a slipping clutch to prevent overloading of the drive. If you fit a dynamo/generator of greater output, you could end up overloading (and burning out) that clutch, and have no dynamo output at all! Worst case scenario, it could also cause the timing to slip!

Eddie.

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #11 on: 08 Sep 2020 at 13:27 »
I agree Eddie and  that was the only worry I had (after the direction of rotation which is OK)  since the Vincent ones are gear or chain driven, however there are a lot of bikes fitted with the magdyno model they have been selling for a long time and the latest Alton has a lot less rotational resistance and a auto cut out to stop discharge of the battery as per some alternators at rest it has the same silhouette as a Lucas dynamo
From their web site

Suitable for magdyno equipped motorcycles.

Suitable for Ariel Red Hunter (250-350-500cc singles), Ariel VB600,

BSA M20, M21, B31, B32, B33, B34, Gold Star DB34 & DBD34…
Norton model 50, Norton ES2 (up to 1958), Panther Model 100 & 120, Royal Enfield Bullet.

I only have a fleeting knowledge of some of them but I am certain the B31 has a slipper clutch (big round ended cruciform spring )

Offline EW-Ron

« Reply #12 on: 08 Sep 2020 at 21:51 »
Beware! The Lucas mag-dyno has a built-in safety device in the form of a slipping clutch etc

Look on the bright side - your high output generator/alternator could seize even,
and the slipping clutch will take care of it, and you can continue on your merry way.
Until dark anyway.  And thats what the ammeter is for ?

Do you know, I don't think I've ever seen a burnt out slipper clutch on the generator drive on a magneto/magdyno ??
You sometimes see some tooth wear on that fabric drive gear, on really big mileage ones.
Its in its own little compartment, so doesn't spread damage onto anything else.

Offline flea

« Reply #13 on: 08 Sep 2020 at 22:51 »
wow.. starting to think im in way over my head , didnt think they would be so complicated , without pulling mine off the bike are there markings on the cylinder body and if so where , mine might be covered up with grease and dirt , with a lot of different brand bikes using the same components thought would be a easy swap ... now starting to see another reason for the prince of darkness title

Offline EW-Ron

« Reply #14 on: 09 Sep 2020 at 03:07 »
They are only complicated if you overthink it.

They did cover a lot of models for a lot of years though,
so you have to get the basics right.
And match the parts book up to what you require.

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #15 on: 09 Sep 2020 at 07:37 »
There are a lot of magnetos
https://www.themagnetoguys.co.uk/magdyno-images
this is the most comprehensive list
http://brightsparkmagnetos.com/library/Parts%20lists/Lucas%20motor%20cycle%20parts%201936-57/G24-40%20Magdynos.pdf
I found my MN2 numbers stamped on the side of the 'church steeple' sometimes its a plate

Offline Neville Heath

« Reply #16 on: 10 Sep 2020 at 09:52 »
I have a mag dyno combination that is fully working and a body with a few bits I would sell if you are interested. Photos attached. Problem might be postage. Email me. See July /Aug Con Rod Mag.
Neville

Attachments converted to linked images - Dave, 07Feb2021
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2021 at 07:11 by Dave »

Offline Neville Heath

« Reply #17 on: 11 Sep 2020 at 14:33 »
Should have put Con Rod date is 2019
Mag case only is free if you can arrange collection.
Neville

Offline flea

« Reply #18 on: 11 Sep 2020 at 22:25 »
hi neville , intrested in both , buying the unit (depending on price) and also the body as well, i have a project T35 and the ww2 generator with both missing the dyno/magnito units if you can send them up , im afraid dont know anybody down south anymore to do a collection but as mentioned in a msg sendle will do a pick up and delivery if in town or would pay the postage instead