Author Topic: Post-war clutches modified to cork friction lining  (Read 358 times)

Offline kncken

Advice ,please,from Mark and Dragonfly owners who have converted their clutches to cork friction.(Well,Plus riders as well,of course.) I've done about 400 miles since fitting a cork lining,and find the take-up a bit fierce still.I've tried liberal  squirts of paraffin/engine oil mix through the inspection hatch before each ride. Can I expect a smooth take-up anytime soon,please? Someone please tell me yes! Thanks,Ken Playfoot

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Post-war clutches modified to cork friction lining
« Reply #1 on: 08 Sep 2020 at 06:52 »
Ken,
        You don't say whether your clutch plate is the normal 'Plus' plate with cork inserts or a plate lined with a cork disc. If it is the 'normal' Plus plate with a multitude of 3/8" dia corks, I don't think you will ever get over the fierce take up until the corks are worn down almost to the plate. As I see it, the relatively small width of each insert will make it prone to distorting as the drive is taken up, causing the leading edges to dig in - hence the fierce take up!

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline kncken

Re: Post-war clutches modified to cork friction lining
« Reply #2 on: 08 Sep 2020 at 13:04 »
Thanks Eddie,no,i used a floor tile of the appropriate thickness,Araldited to the standard plate.I seem to remember that Roger Moss,he of 50 odd years of Plus ownership,used a dose of paraffin every ride ,I think.I guess a Plus clutch compartment gets oiled from the little hole in the rear crank web,so I made my own concoction of oil and paraffin,in a squeezy tin with a length of tiny plastic tube,which,hopefully reaches the areas that matter.It does seem to help.Just wondered if other folk had any thoughts.This bike is a Dragonfly,by the way.