Author Topic: Oversize Bearing Rollers  (Read 1486 times)

Offline A31ndrew

Oversize Bearing Rollers
« on: 07 Sep 2020 at 11:12 »
Can anyone suggest a source of oversize bearing rollers? I need 1/4" x 5/16" rollers, 3 thou (0.003") oversize, for the big ends of my A31, but am not having much luck finding a supplier!
Thanks, Andrew

Offline Dads bike

Re: Oversize Bearing Rollers
« Reply #1 on: 07 Sep 2020 at 16:34 »
Good afternoon Andrew

Try this guy, he has a lot of new old stock on the shelf. I have had over size rollers from him in the past.
He is in Norwich UK and is very helpful.
Bearing supplies Norwich LTD. Tel 01603 891800
www.bearing-supplies.co.uk

Steve

Offline A31ndrew

« Reply #2 on: 07 Sep 2020 at 20:59 »
Thanks, Steve - I'll give him a call.

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #3 on: 08 Sep 2020 at 00:35 »
Hi Andrew,

I have some if you're stuck. The down side is that I'm in Australia, and these days that can be months away by mail.

Cheers

Leon

Offline A31ndrew

« Reply #4 on: 08 Sep 2020 at 14:12 »
Hi Leon, thanks for responding. I think a full set is 34, but the ones that came out aren't all the same size ...  lf you can advise cost and postage, I can pay via paypal if that works for you.
Andrew

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #5 on: 08 Sep 2020 at 21:51 »
Hi Andrew,

PM me with your address.

I went out yesterday to buy a ball race. When I arrived at my usual bearing stockist the building was empty, with a sign pointing me to other branches north or south. I chose south. Drove 20km but there was nothing to be found at that address either. Googled and found another nearby. Another recently-vacated building. Got home 2 hours after leaving, empty handed. Presumably the bearing trade in our small city - 1.2 million people - has collapsed. Last time I bought bearings online from the UK the package arrived after a couple of weeks - fine except that the long rollers were 3/16 instead of the 1/4 ordered... I think I've got the bearing blues!!

Leon

Offline A31ndrew

« Reply #6 on: 08 Sep 2020 at 22:26 »
Hi Leon,
I've DM'd my address, as requested. I think the bearing trade - in the UK at least - is geared to the on-line marketplace. I bought a Timken self-aligning roller main for the A31 from a major UK stockist recently. It was very reasonably priced and arrived quickly. The downside is that the old days of local warehouses still carrying a few shelves of slow-moving stock, are gone. Great if you want a standard metric bearing - but oversize imperial rollers? No chance. Thank goodness for the Douglas forum!
Andrew