Author Topic: douglas generator  (Read 2293 times)

Offline flea

douglas generator
« on: 21 Aug 2020 at 22:05 »
has anybody have a photo or diagram of the ww2 douglas generator carb and carb set up

Offline flea

Re: douglas generator
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2020 at 22:13 »
did the generator have a single 2-1 carb or have 2 carbs

Offline EW-Ron

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2020 at 06:31 »
T'm not sure how many varieties there may have been ?
Fancy looking big thing ...

There is most of an engine on ebay just now.
Looks to have the carb.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wartime-Douglas-generator-set-engine/114358592085

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2020 at 07:13 »
There were at least 2 versions of the Douglas generator - but they were both powered by the same engine unit. To make them more portable, the engine unit and the generator unit (which included the fuel tank) could be separated (just undo the fuel line and slip the drive belts off).
  The above photo shows what looks to be a standard engine unit, but the generator unit looks to be home brewed. The original unit would have had the main generator plus a smaller generator to act as an exciter for the main unit. The original unit had a large fuel tank that also acted as a cover to keep the weather off the rest of the unit. Stored in the base of the engine section, there would also have been a silencer and length of flexi exhaust. The photo also shows the carrying handle incorporated into the frame (LHS) - the handle would be un-clipped, lifted and pushed through the top tube to provide a handle on both sides.
  As far as I am aware, the carb is peculiar to the generator engine (being controlled by a link from the governor unit - visible just below the pressure gauge).

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline flea

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2020 at 23:21 »
thanks eddie thats the best / clearest photo i v seen so far , looks close to what i have ..... you really need the handles as even without the top 1/2 its very heavy , on the top section have a large squarish fuel tank and now have the 24v alternater to bolt on but no 240v generator , theres a carb for sale on ebay uk but wanted to be sure before making a offer .. very strange looking carb and not sure if its compleate .. very much $$$ with shipping and exchange rate so if any one on the forum has a cab set for it would be really gratefull ... this generator in aust isnt worth a great deal but is rare as hens teeth and deserves to be put back together if only for history

Offline flea

« Reply #5 on: 04 Sep 2020 at 23:09 »
ya ... have found a carb plus valves from one bloke and a generator workshop manual off another ... along with your photo may have a good chance of putting this gennie back together and maybe running ,, thanks again eddie

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 05 Sep 2020 at 07:09 »
I was told many years ago (by a generator owner) that some of the original generators had aluminium windings (presumably to save weight) resulting in them having to be run at a higher speed - the frequency generated almost blotted out the old radio long wave band signal, thus getting the owners into deep water with the authorities.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline EW-Ron

« Reply #7 on: 05 Sep 2020 at 07:27 »
The HMV Forum have this as an original instruction pic

Offline Dads bike

« Reply #8 on: 05 Sep 2020 at 16:56 »
Good afternoon
I have a complete set for sale on the forums items for sale. Can you see what you need to know from the pics attached to that advert? If not let me know what you need and I will take some close ups.

Have attached the carb info from the hand book below
Hope this helps.

Steve.

Images rotated - Dave, 09 Sep 2020
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2020 at 19:29 by Dave »

Offline flea

« Reply #9 on: 05 Sep 2020 at 21:23 »
thanks steve  that genset of yours looks to be the same model as the one iv got so those photos will be really helpfull , already noticed a couple of things i still dont have , might take you up on your offer of the carb photos but just waiting on a manual to arrive from the uk first so i dont bother you for no good reason , was lucky enough to source a copy since the post , (next day) as well as a carb and governor , wish you were just down the rd instead of the uk so could have a look in person as very very rare in aust .. amazed you found yours in that cond even in the 80s .. projects they breed , started off just buying my t35 and now thats turned into the genset project and another T35 project .. both projects unplanned .. HELP...THEIR BREEDING...

Offline Dads bike

« Reply #10 on: 05 Sep 2020 at 22:21 »
If you google Douglas generator 1200 VA/350 W tropical testing.
You will come across a link to. discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk. From where you can drop through to a link to get a quote to order the tropical test report of the unit dated 1945.
Or you can seemingly go to Kew in London and pick it up over the counters?
Good luck! I lost the will.

Steve

Offline flea

« Reply #11 on: 06 Sep 2020 at 18:28 »
lol ....bit far for me to go to kew but i see what you mean about losing the will , they dont make it easy to research or cheap and thats if your in england