Author Topic: OB Model 1924 Gear Change Mechanism  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Chris

• Master Member
OB Model 1924 Gear Change Mechanism
« on: 26 Jul 2020 at 09:08 »
Over the years I have been collecting parts to complete restoration of my 1924 OB now in the final stages. I now find that the gear change parts I have collected are of no use apart from the basic alloy vee shaped casting that bolts onto the extension from the lower top frame tube. Two gear change levers I have, a bronze casting and a laser cut steel, are from different models and it appears that the original OB gear change lever is of a quite tortuous design going back under the tank from below the pivot and then changing  direction again to align with the lever on the gearbox via yokes and clevis pins. Can anyone help with an original OB gear lever in any condition if only as a pattern to enable completion of this area. I can make all of the other components but it would help if I can also obtain an original gate and associated parts to complete the assembly. Hoping that someone can help with this. Regards  Chris.

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
Re: OB Model 1924 Gear Change Mechanism
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2020 at 00:29 »
Hi Chris,
Sorry I don't have the parts you are looking for. I'd never noticed the variations on the OB gear change lever, but looking closer I see the illustration of the OW24 in the 1924 catalogue shows something quite different to the setup on Jack Nelson's OB (photos below). Also completely different to the RA setup. Is the setup on Jack's bike the one you are looking for?
Good luck.
Leon

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2020 at 07:47 »
Hi Leon
Many thanks for the photographs posted above. I do have a selection of photos of Jack Nelson's OB provided some time ago by Doug K. but they did not include these pictures which do make the gear change area very much clearer.
Regards  Chris.

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 09 Aug 2020 at 03:35 »
Hi Chris,

I don't have a gear change mechanism for sale but do have some information which may be of help. PM sent.

cheers

Ian