Author Topic: S6 Magneto  (Read 988 times)

Offline Jonathan

S6 Magneto
« on: 15 Jul 2020 at 12:04 »
I am restoring an S6 and don’t have a Magneto.  Can I adapt another magneto from EW600 or other (see photo) and use it.
The S6 has a drive pin/dog and the others have a gear.  Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Jonathan
Jonathan H.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: S6 Magneto
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2020 at 17:09 »
Hi Jonathan,
                     Firstly, you need to check out the rotation of the EW mag - the S6 mag turns anti-clockwise (at the drive end). Assuming the rotation is correct, you will need to remove the timing gear and the adaptor plate (to be replaced with the normal closing plate). The S6 needs a drive dog in place of the pinion - thus the timing gears need to be timed correctly before replacing the timing cover (this is easily done slipping the small idler out of mesh so that the mag can be turned to the correct position). Also, the engine needs to be in the frame, with the primary chaincase in place so that the engine through bolts can be tightened from the left hand side before fitting the timing cover - otherwise the timing cover takes the full clamping force of the crankcase bolts, and ends up being cracked and distorted.
  If the rotation needs changing, the mag armature will need stripping to change the slip ring, and the end housing around the points (and the points assembly) will also need changing to reverse the rotation.

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline Jonathan

Re: S6 Magneto
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2020 at 22:50 »
Thanks for your reply Eddie.
I appreciate the reminder about fitting the chain case before the timing cover.
I will send the job out the my Magneto Guy.
Regards
Jonathan H.