Author Topic: The immovable flywheel  (Read 173 times)

Offline tck

• old racer
The immovable flywheel
« on: 30 Jun 2020 at 13:06 »
Well perusing this forum I am not the first
My Mk flywheel has 2 X  5/16" BSF cap bolts in a piece 3/8" steel plate  in position and pressure applied by a 1/2" whitworth bolt to the center of the crankshaft end via a copper coin and I have wound it up to about 35ft lbs on a large torque wrench and socket I do not think I dare increase it further.
It has sat all night and I have given it "The sharp blow" as recommended with a suitable hammer.(a few times)
I knew I was going to have problems there was no split pin on the nut and the nut undid with a preliminary pull of the ring spanner
There is some perceptible play in the big end and I guess sludge is in the crank otherwise the top ends have looked OK but with the cycle parts almost done and the gearbox on its way I have come to a halt  so I need help to get the bottom end done.

Offline Jonathan Hewitt

Re: The immovable flywheel
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2020 at 17:05 »
To my mind 3/8 plate is no where near thick enough 3/4 to 1" would be more suitable as the pressure from your pulling studs will just be preloading and springing the cross piece . The cross piece must not bend at all.
   Jonathan

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2020 at 19:23 »
Easy done! I will weld on some angle iron  and wind her up again

Offline AJWBREW

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2020 at 21:20 »
I always find a very long soak in diesel helps with anything that won't move and maybe apply a little heat to the flywheel whilst you have it tentioned up.

motorcycle