Author Topic: Dragonfly - Routing wires around the headstock  (Read 198 times)

Offline BrmBrm

Dragonfly - Routing wires around the headstock
« on: 28 Jun 2020 at 21:25 »
Hi everybody,
I've just rewired my Dragonfly, and have completed everything except all the connections within the nacelle.

In other words, starting at the taillight and taking in the stoplight switch, battery, coil, horn, rectifier and handlebar horn/dip.
The next stage is to decide on the exact route for the wires around the headstock into the nacelle.
There wasn't any indication of how this was done originally because most of the wiring was missing.
Any advice on the original or best route past the headstock for the wires would be appreciated.
Obviously I need to keep clear of the steering stop lugs, and the job is a bit easier because the nacelle doesn't move with the handlebars, but what exactly is the best way to go?
Many thanks,
Dave G

Offline BrmBrm

Re: Dragonfly - Routing wires around the headstock
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2020 at 09:44 »
I thought that would be an easy question for anybody who had a Dragonfly?  :D :D :D
Many thanks
Dave G

Offline Red

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2020 at 10:01 »
To be honest Dave it is something I never gave any thought to when I restored my Dragonfly, which admittedly was nearly 50 years ago and it is still going well. Whether you go to the left or the right of the head stock is really not going to make any difference. All I did was run single wires and once I was happy that everything was working OK I bound the loom with a suitable black fabric tape. Its now been like that for the past 50 year with no problems

Roy 

Offline patrickwhitty

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2020 at 14:30 »
A simple question but it is surprisingly difficult to answer. Without taking the fuel tank off it is very difficult to see where the cable goes. I can feel it, and I tried to take some photos but it is too cramped for anything to be recognizable. From below it is impossible to see much of the cable so I removed the circular plate from the top of the headstock but inside that it is even more cluttered; but at least I was able to rescue the grommets for the brake and throttle cables. The cable comes in along the lower of the bars below the fuel tank and then drops down and to the right so it comes into the nacelle along its lower edge and it comes fairly well forward so that once it branches out the individual wires are too far forward and too low to be much troubled by the steering stops. The only photo that is in any way recognizable is inside the headlamp nacelle. The black cable that looks as though it might be heading for the ammeter is actually on its way to the horn switch. Where it appears at the bottom it's tucked into the angle between the front edge of the fuel tank and the frame. I hope that helps. Patrick

Offline BrmBrm

« Reply #4 on: 01 Jul 2020 at 07:51 »
OK, thanks Red and Patrick.

On the side of the headstock.
Just that I thought that there was quite a lot of wiring movement there, lock to lock, because of the Earles fork arrangement, that is, more than a conventional single headstock arrangement.

Firstly I looked at a route immediately under the top circular plate and above the large 'steering' bolt.

Then I noticed that there is a route completely underneath the headstock, which allows all the incoming wires to remain completely straight, lock to lock. And this is above the line of the bottom of the tank, and out of sight.

I just thought that originally there must have been standard way of doing it.

Either way it looks like I'll be OK as long as clear of the steering stop lugs.

Thanks Red and Patrick for your replies.

Best wishes
Dave G

Offline BrmBrm

« Reply #5 on: 01 Jul 2020 at 10:26 »
Thanks for all that.
Looks like the simplest way is as this photo.
Steering shown at full left lock.
Wires come past the little 'triangular' plate where there is an earth screw.
Manythanks.

motorcycle