Author Topic: EW 350 Main Bearings and Clutch Friction Plate  (Read 240 times)

Offline SteveTea

EW 350 Main Bearings and Clutch Friction Plate
« on: 26 Jun 2020 at 13:13 »
Hi All,

My restoration continues slowly on my 1926 EW with new pistons adapted to the existing conrods, crank shaft refurbished with new big ends, new valve guides fitted, the list goes on....

However, I'm having trouble with getting hold of two items: the crankshaft main bearings and a new clutch friction plate with the primary drive sprocket attached.

If anyone can provide a source for these parts I'd be very grateful.

Purely for information as folks may be interested, my current primary drive sprocket (the centre of the clutch friction plate) is badly worn where the roller bearings have obviously run dry at some point in its history.  I initially looked at getting the roller face of the sprocket bored out and using larger rollers to compensate but was advised that as the item is probably case hardened I would loose all of the hardening resulting in a very fast wear when reassembled and used.  There was also concern that there is not much Ďmeatí in that area due to the holes for the rivets that hold on the clutch plate and the whole assembly would be weakened.  So, if I canít get a replacement sprocket, Iím looking into boring out the inner surface of the sprocket and having a sleeve produced and shrunk fitted in place and then using smaller rollers to compensate for the decreased diameter of the sprocket bore.  The lengths we go to with these old machines!

Offline Charlie18

Re: EW 350 Main Bearings and Clutch Friction Plate
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2020 at 21:15 »
Check out.   buyoldengineering.com   they make clutch and other sprockets for the EW
    Cheers Doug

Offline douglas1947

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2020 at 14:26 »
I have made a 1930 350cc engine (H3) 2years ago. It has metric bearings and not so difficult to get.
I believe the the EW has the same bearings. If you have the possibility to give me the measures of the bearings  I will try to find out a source.

Michael

Offline Dion Richards

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2020 at 20:56 »
I have just brought the main bearings for my crankshaft for a 350EW here in New Zealand.  one is  "MBS ball and roller bearing No. 98305 " 62x25x12mm and the other is the double race one " FAG 4206-BB-TVH" 62x30x20mm. My original was 21mm so will need a 1mm shim hope this helps.

Dion

Offline Ken Rogers

• 1926 EW350
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2020 at 08:20 »
Hi as for the roller bearings in the clutch Harley Davison do .250" +1 thou.You can sometimes find them on ebay.Ken