Author Topic: Dragonfly Rectifier  (Read 1202 times)

Offline otaio26

Dragonfly Rectifier
« on: 14 May 2020 at 13:44 »
The Miller diagram shows rectifier with connections 1,2,3.
Now I could not find anywhere a Miller rectifier,mine missing on bike as a non runner.I have purchased a Lucas equivilant that has 4 connections,(1 x blue  markings,2 x yellow marking and 1 earth marked red.
Can anyone advise me where the 3 alternator wires go on this lucas rectifier,ie do Y and G go to 4 and 2 and then 3 to one yellow on rec: and 6 to other yellow on rec: with the brown going to the blue terminal and red to earth.
Hope someone can understand and advise me on this query as elecs  as obvious is my weak point.
ps.I do not want to go solid state rec:reg: at present so please do not quote this alternative.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Dragonfly Rectifier
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2020 at 20:32 »
As the earth is marked red, the battery has to be wired positive to earth. Blue should then be connected terminal 6 on the lighting/ignition switch. The brown wire from the alternator should connect to one of the yellow terminals (doesn't matter which one). The other yellow terminal should go to terminal 3 on the switch.

Hope that helps,
                              Regards,
                                            Eddie.

Offline otaio26

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2020 at 08:48 »
Eddie,

Many thanks for your reply written in a laymans language that even I understand.I will proceed with the wiring and hope I do not experience any further issues,but having a guy like you available to answer any queries I can now complete the job.
Will post when all done and up and running.
Had many classic british bikes in my youth but never a Douglas.Now of old age and restoring the odd bike for pleasure I look forward to the riding of my first horizontal twin.

Offline otaio26

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2020 at 11:48 »
Following full rebuild started Dragonfly yesterday and very satisfied (thanks Eddie)showing a nice 6 amp charge and equal/equal when full main and tail on.Have fitted 2 Dellorto carbs on manifolds made by me,and angled up at 25 deg: to give more clearance for operating gear and footbrake.Started easily with full choke and steady tick-over.
Little smoky but hopefully when rings bed in this will disappear, and I did fit Genuine Hepolite pistons.