Author Topic: 2 3/4 ts timing  (Read 454 times)

Offline conrad

2 3/4 ts timing
« on: 05 May 2020 at 05:35 »
When timing the motor on the timing marks the front  cylinder is over top dead centre when the back valves are rocking. When I moved the cam wheel back two teeth the valve timing was correct. I had trouble with the front cylinder not firing most of the time when I timed it with the marks lining up. It runs a lot better with the cam wheel in the moved position. Do I have a different cam wheel for this model? Any help would be great on this as the timing marks do not line up and she runs good. Cheers Conrad

Offline conrad

Re: 2 3/4 ts timing
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2020 at 05:58 »
Forgot to show you the restored bike. Cheers Conrad

Before restoration

Before photo added - Dave, 5 May 2020
« Last Edit: 05 May 2020 at 06:26 by Dave »

Offline TonyC

« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2020 at 07:58 »
Hi Conrad,

Cant help with the timing but I must congratulate you on an amazing restoration, it looks absolutely superb!

Tony

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2020 at 06:13 »
Nice job Conrad!
As far as the timing marks go, there are at least 3 different cam profiles for 2 3/4hp machines, most being fitted with the B cam. Whether they have different timing marks I don't know, but I can relate the experience my dad and I had when he first restored the 1914 3 1/2hp machine that I still own. When we first built up the engine we lined up the marks as on the pinions - and I should mention that the engine was complete when the bike was found - and we couldn't get any sense out of it at all. We ended up going back to basics and set up the the wheels so that the valve and ignition timing made sense, and then it ran well. Make of that what you will! It certainly baffled us at the time. Good luck!
Cheers, Graeme

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2020 at 00:26 »
I should add we painted marks on the wheels after getting the bike running well  :)