Author Topic: T35 rebuild  (Read 2043 times)

Offline CooperS

T35 rebuild
« on: 13 May 2020 at 20:47 »
My T35 is now up and running although not very well. The carb bodies and slides are badly worn and new carbs don’t seem to be available. Petrol leaks from the carb indicating a high float level. New float bowls and needles have not improved the slow running which is erratic and cuts out.

Timing is checked and ok.
Putting authenticity aside can I run Amal concentrics and if so what jetting should I use.

Offline flea

Re: T35 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2020 at 05:05 »
following..would like to know to

Offline dalgrae

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2020 at 07:09 »
A few years back I was advised that the club had obtained a batch of remade carb bodies,as I understand a person in Australia was making some new bodies for his bike and made some spares which the club obtained,I am sure someone will either confirm or deny this ,and if so whether the club still has any left

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2020 at 08:57 »
I would steer away from concentrics although the new premier ones supposedly have improved there are loads of cheap small jap carbs on ebay and searching here will help you as others have fitted them.
Mikuni are the best and I believe in UK Allens will set them up
My latest project has larger inlet pipes and a set of smaller 276 carbs with horizontal bolt holes they seem to have enough foot room so thats another avenue

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2020 at 09:02 »
Here is a pic before restoration started

Offline flea

« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2020 at 16:11 »
any chance of a photo of the new carb set up

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2020 at 07:44 »
I looks no different just shinier :-)

Offline flea

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2020 at 14:08 »
thinking about doing the same but with a set of mukunis off a 350 twin , was thinking about putting a 90 deg elbow on the head (manifold) to allow for a air filter (pointing outwards), not sure if would be enough room for the foot but will have a play and see .. can see the purists shuttering but have another part bits t35 project that have no carbs for so might be worth while ...LOL.. for being a fairly rare bike here in oz and also being in the boon docks its funny how gone from no douglas to a complete and kind of running t35 to a part t35 generator and to a almost complete t35 project bike in a matter of months without really going looking for them .. funny thing about bikes no matter what make they are they seem to breed

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2020 at 17:43 »
Yes you will get a few looks its what I was going to do but since I have these 276's  I am OK (so long as I can get low ethanol petrol)
The important thing is to enjoy the ride and you cant do that with clapped out carbs
If its going to be a sitting exhibit like many nowadays thats a different game

Offline flea

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2020 at 01:27 »
the bloke i bought a lot of parts off for the project bike would have in many eyes committed the great sin of turning a t35 into a bobber ... stainless guards . harley tank , different rims with stainless spokes , different seat etc etc .. would have spent a fortune on it .. fanatics would roll in their graves .. LOL.. BUT he did a amazing job .. it actually looks really good .. id put up a couple of photos but its not up to me to do it , especially seeing he is on , or use to be on this forum .. but i did fairly well getting (at a price) a lot of the parts he took off , all of which were in good cond .. said he did it because he could and also wanted something a little different .. and no he wasnt a young bloke

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2020 at 09:11 »
I am not a rivet counter and I dont mind a mod or two if they make the bike more reliable or surreptitiously  correct some glaring defect in the original design especially if the machine is like my bike which as bought is a mongrel between MK1 frame and MK4 engine but a chopper is far to far....

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2020 at 11:50 »
A final thought on carbs my 276 carbs are short of one item I dont have in my stock of carbs a float needle, well its just  cost me with P&P over £17.00 from Burlens and I could have bought a brand new Chinese copy of a Mikuni of the correct original bore size for that on ebay with change. Food for thought indeed.

Offline hoejmark

« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2020 at 15:57 »
I have renovated more badly worn AMAL 274 carbs for MK models with excellent results, and I do not feel the job too difficult, if you can handle a lathe or knows one who can.

The procedure has been:
I made a fixing device for my lathe and  turned out sligthly the hole for the throttle valve in mixing chamber until it was round and smooth, and only down to where the throttle valve stops.
In another fixing devise I then turned down the throttle valve for wear until it was round.
Then made a sleeve from bronze or brass, and soldered it to the throttlevalve, and once again turned down the throttle valve until a nice fit into the mixing chamber.
Lastly I made the cut-outs on the throttle valve again.

I believe the carbs to be better than new then. The bikes runs very well with a nice tick over ond it starts immediately, hot or cold.

I also renovated my T6 carb in the same way (same type of fixing devices) and it also starts well, cold or hot, and also runs a nice tick over.

Some photos are attached

Regards
Hoejmark