Author Topic: Mk 5 gearbox  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Pensioner73

Mk 5 gearbox
« on: 19 Jun 2020 at 19:55 »
The kickstart on my Dragonfly failed and on inspection I found that the location in the gearbox casting and the cover cap for the kickstart auxiliary shaft had disintegrated.
As I have twin carbs to fit I propose fitting a MK5 gearbox as I believe the gearbox and internals with the Dragonfly. are interchangeable, Perhaps someone will correct me on that. So looking for a MK 5 gearbox, either complete or casing.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Mk 5 gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2020 at 20:30 »
The Dragonfly has a totally different kickstart mechanism, layshaft and final drive shaft to that in the Mark gearbox - the rest of the internals are the same.

If you fit a Mark gearbox in a 'Fly, you will need to remove the dipstick from the filler cap, otherwise the Dragonfly toolbox prevents the filler cap from being removed.

The damage you have described is not uncommon on Dragonfly 'boxes. I have never understood why Douglas felt it necessary to fit a cross pin in the auxiliary shaft - had the pin been omitted, the lack of a slot in the cover plate would have made the cover much stronger. The shaft being capable of turning wouldn't cause any problems as it would only turn when the kickstart was being operated - when under way, the whole kickstart mechanism remains stationary.

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline Neville Heath

Re: Mk 5 gearbox
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2020 at 18:13 »
Pensioner73
I have a good Mark box I would sell. EMail me for details. Address is with an ad in July /Aug Con Rod. I am not too far away from you to collect.
Neville